Showdown In Peckville, PA

Interesting side note about those years in Scranton, 2002-2005... OK, maybe not interesting to any of you, but I'm the one writing this, so too bad...LOL:

From what I recall, for a corps to be eligible to win the American Legion national championship, the corps needed an American Legion post as a sponsor.

That raised the possible scenario... implausible, yet possible... of a corps winning the DCA title but not also winning the American Legion title, if that corps didn't have an AL post sponsor. The AL champ would have been the next highest-scoring corps that did have an AL sponsor.

Of course, the corps that won those years... Brigadiers, Caballeros, Empire Statesmen, Buccaneers... all had AL post sponsorships, so it became a moot point.

But man... what if???  The Internet would have melted. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Don't quote me chapter and verse here...LOL... but no, I don't think this is the American Legion National Championship show anymore.  It hasn't been since Doc Sebastianelli passed away several years ago.

I think it's the PA American Legion involved with this show, not the national AL. There is no Orange Flag... signifying an AL national champion... given to the winner. Unless that's changed for this year, I don't know.

And I don't know about the honor guard requirement thing for this year, regardless of whether this is a title show or not.

I do know that when Doc ran the show... which has been called the "Parade of Champions" for decades, not a recent development... corps were required to have an honor guard even in the years when the show was not the AL national championship... which was the case for many years.

Doc restored the "AL title show" designation in 1997, I think it was, after a long hiatus. That was the year he brought me on as the show's announcer. I'm 100 percent sure those two items are unrelated. :tongue:

And the second set of years the DCA championship was held in Scranton... 2002-2005... the show was both the DCA title show and the AL title show. Believe me, that made for several "adventures in PA announcing" when it came to the awards ceremony.  :innocent:  A story best left untold on a public site such as this. LOL.

you can dig through the archives, posts where it was discussed are still there

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Interesting side note about those years in Scranton, 2002-2005... OK, maybe not interesting to any of you, but I'm the one writing this, so too bad...LOL:

From what I recall, for a corps to be eligible to win the American Legion national championship, the corps needed an American Legion post as a sponsor.

That raised the possible scenario... implausible, yet possible... of a corps winning the DCA title but not also winning the American Legion title, if that corps didn't have an AL post sponsor. The AL champ would have been the next highest-scoring corps that did have an AL sponsor.

Of course, the corps that won those years... Brigadiers, Caballeros, Empire Statesmen, Buccaneers... all had AL post sponsorships, so it became a moot point.

But man... what if???  The Internet would have melted. :tongue:

if i recall, everyone but the Inspires had one...even the Grennies hooked up with one

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if i recall, everyone but the Inspires had one...even the Grennies hooked up with one

Yes... I did say implausible....LOL

On 7/27/2017 at 6:09 AM, BigW said:

I think all of the DCA open class corps have an honor guard now. I'm trying to think of one that does not and failing.

Bush does not have an honor guard.

26 minutes ago, HBD said:

Bush does not have an honor guard.

Likewise with Minnesota Brass, and Govies when they were in Open last year

all honor guard aside, the forecast is low 70's at show time...could be downright chilly by the end.

Safe travels to all corps and have a great show.Is this the last meanting of Cabs & Bucs before DCA ,I know next weekend is Kingston most corps thier but no Bucs,Ok anwered my own question here ,checked dca.corps.org and see they meet up one more time ay the Bush show in Woodbrigde on the 19th,

Edited by Florida Sun