The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I guess it depends on who it seems suspect to. And I don't think comparing that judge to a chimp is cool. That's quite rude, even if you disagree with them. And that "score" can change the results come finals. Honestly it's about the enjoyment, not the score. People need to quit getting so caught up in scores. Just enjoy the shows and let the staff take judge critique and make their changes.

I wasn't comparing a judge to a chimp, I was using it as a hyperbole to illustrate the concept of appeal to authority. Holy hell, you people need to cool it with the persecution complex. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

You could just as easily say double-tonguing and showing off with flashy drill are a part of the drum corps idiom, as corps have always shown off in that way. 

Face it: your basic point is that these are only problems for you when the corps you dislike wins doing them, and that they're not a problem when it's the corps you like—or the ones you marched with. 

Off of the top of my head: Examples of double-tonguing that make sense in the context of the source material: 1993 Cavaliers (Gavorkna Fanfare), 2014 SCV (Scheherazade), 2015 Bluecoats (Shaker Loops). Example of double-tonguing that was seemingly just thrown in to have double-tonguing the in the show: 2003 Cavaliers (trumpet feature in the closet; arguable since its original music but it doesn't seem to serve the overall theme at all). And I really like 2003 Cavaliers, it's one of my favorites. 

I bristle at the implication that I'm hating on corps blindly, or somehow showing favoritism just because I performed with certain corps. I try to evaluate every corps fairly and critically, giving credit where it's earned and criticism where it's deserved. Believe it or not, not every instance of criticism comes from a place of uninformed hatred. Designers aren't gods, and neither are judges. Calm criticism can come from educated eyes, even if they aren't members of the upper echelon of the activity. 

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What corps are you complaining about here? Crown is the biggest culprit by far of the destruction of flow to add in some fancy double tonguing 

It's a general statement. Off of the top of my head, BD tends to throw in random quad breaks, Crown with the double tonguing as you said, and SCV with the percussion breaks. 

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This is what oldsters said 15-20 years ago, when Blue Devils started winning shows dominated with dramatic performance techniques. The times are a-changin' my friend. Show designs change, uniforms change, standards change, instrumentation changes, and expectations change. Electronics, jazz performance, dramatic staging, all of this broadens the appeal but makes the activity increasingly more subjective. 

Im old enough to remember when the Winter Olympics put compulsory figure skating on in prime time. Now, I don't think they even televise it. It's now all about the interpretive long form show in which emotional interpretation and connection with the audience is scored right alongside compulsory performance.

I don't particularly mind a shift in content, but that content needs to be readable and clear. If it's impossible to tell if something was done well or not, then it should at best be given a neutral assessment, and possibly scored negatively. 

38 minutes ago, pudding said:

I don't particularly mind a shift in content, but that content needs to be readable and clear. If it's impossible to tell if something was done well or not, then it should at best be given a neutral assessment, and possibly scored negatively. 

You want the activity to be objective, and it has been moving more toward subjectivity for three decades.

45 minutes ago, pudding said:

Agreed 

thats why we are seeing indoor design on a football field

no I can't see the emoting saber in the far corner 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed 

thats why we are seeing indoor design on a football field

no I can't see the emoting saber in the far corner 

A lot of things seem written for the jumbotron/DVD [or live feed that is missing it because it's focused on the timpanist counting rests]. unfortunate because Drum corps is much better live

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 4

On 7/22/2017 at 6:28 PM, MotoSurfBass said:

Pioneer: Might have been the strongest and top-to-bottom consistent show I have EVER seen out of them! Also, even though Les Mis has been done to death, this didn't feel boring or rehashed at any point. Keeping this source material fresh is a tall task, and Pioneer actually pulled it off!

Thank you for the kind words about Pioneer, as well as the other corps at the show last night! The kids are working hard to be "Better Every Day"!

• Like 3

I'm home.  Gonna have my review up late tonight.  

......and I can't really think of many negatives.  I was so so so impressed top to bottom.  

I'm sure it'll be too long.  But oh well!  Haven't read through this thread, interested in what everyone else thought.  

• Like 6