The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

I definitely am one of those that doesn't like vocals in drum corps. However, Cascades just demonstrated unequivocally that singers can be used to great effect. They have absolutely nailed balance of vocals with the ensemble. And the singer has the best pipes I've ever heard in the activity.

• Like 6

Gotta say, the Cascades brass a tougher brass book than a lot of likely finalists. And yes, she can flat out sing, and deserves to be on the field.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

Would I be reaching if I said she's the best vocalist this season? Because that's a studio album quality voice that young lady has!

I'm not a fan of vocals, generally.  She does have a good voice but, mostly, I like her because she integrated well with the rest of the corps as opposed to having the corps as her back up band (sorry Crown!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

For those (like me) who have missed the fact that there's an a live vocalist.. check in the front ensemble.  Maybe start around 9:30.

Start at around 8:15. She starts singing about 8:20

I think I understand now why she's in the front ensemble.  Wired mic setup.  Much more reliable and consistent I'm sure.

Still, the picture is easy to paint... get her in the cage, have her escape from behind those bars and walk out onto the field while she sings that part.  Take the GE points and get the hell outta here!

• Like 6

Dude with the cymbals is cracking me up  :whip:

5 minutes ago, Phillygwm said:

I'm not a fan of vocals, generally.  She does have a good voice but, mostly, I like her because she integrated well with the rest of the corps as opposed to having the corps as her back up band (sorry Crown!)

I think what's hurting Crown the most (amongst fans) with their vocals this year is the fact that so many other corps are also using vocals but in a more effective way. Lesson learned, hopefully. 

Edited by crownisking

Just now, crownisking said:

I think what's hurting Crown the most with their vocals this year is the fact that so many other corps are also using vocals but in a more effective way. Lesson learned, hopefully. 

Two things:  1)  A little vocal goes a long way.  Using it for half the show is simply too much; 2) It's fine when you have a weaker hornline.  When you're among the best in DCI, I'd rather hear the brass for all 11 minutes :-)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Phillygwm said:

Two things:  1)  A little vocal goes a long way.  Using it for half the show is simply too much; 2) It's fine when you have a weaker hornline.  When you're among the best in DCI, I'd rather hear the brass for all 11 minutes :-)

My guess is we are going to see a lot of high school bands incorporate a soloist into their shows this fall...

1 minute ago, Phillygwm said:

I agree. To be perfectly clear, I put that on the designers. They chose a ballad and closer that requires heavy vocals. Fortunately the judges don't seem to be too bothered by it but it's certainly turned off a good number of fans.