So what are we going to do about it?

The cat's out of the bag.  DCI is impervious to complaints from the fans.  I have been a part of shows that have garnered huge complaints.  I feel like I've been on both sides of the so called "innovation" fence as a performer and now as a fan.

It's weird that we allow "new toys" to supposedly foster creative expression, yet I look across the activity and most of what I see is derivative.  Every now and then a corps really takes a chance and does something truly revolutionary.  Then, the next year I see a bunch of followers doing those same things (badly out of context usually) just because they think it's required or cool.  I haven't seen the sheets, but from the outside looking in, it's pretty apparent the "new toys" become a compulsory element over time.  Whether this is a judging bias or an actual element on the sheets I don't know.   Body movement comes to mind as an example.

Sometimes, I think it's the competitive nature of drum corps that limits true creativity and not the rules of the game.  On the other hand, if it wasn't competitive, how could we truly reward or penalize for following or not following said rules?  It's the nature of the beast.  

The older I get, the more I realize how pointless and ego-centric competition in art really is.  In my opinion, more beauty is created when one endeavors simply for the love of doing as opposed to the chance to feed my ego and claim my art is somehow superior to yours.  21 year old me woulda said "are you sh****n' me" to that statement but pursuing greatness to be better than the next guy in and of itself can be limiting.  It potentially leaves a lot of achievement on the table.

I still find elements of the activity that amaze me.  The proficiency of the brass lines is superior now and I spend much more time in the lot to get an unadulterated sample.  I think I'm getting better at filtering out that which I don't like and fully appreciating that which I do.   

For what it's worth, last year was probably the best year I've witnessed in a long long time.  The activity is what it is and I hope I will always find new ways to love her.  Maybe this is how 60 year marriages work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

Then get ready Woodwinds will be coming next and DCI's transition will then be complete to WGI winterguard, indoor drumline, and winds just outdoors on a football field 

I do believe you are correct about our NEXT huge discussion topic. Any-type instrumentation for "drum corps" is very close. And, why should we be surprised? All the major marching arts groups share the SAME equipment designers and suppliers, the same sponsors, the same instructors and student demographic, the same mission, and many of the same audience.

I'd say, 3-5 years from now.

Edited by Fred Windish

4 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

Then get ready Woodwinds will be coming next and DCI's transition will then be complete to WGI winterguard, indoor drumline, and winds just outdoors on a football field 

And if the current corps stay in WC or the numbers of WC corps increase, along with the paid tickets to WC Finals staying at the current level or increasing, the ww change will likely take hold. Again, nobody is forcing corps to stay WC and nobody is forcing the fans who have had enough to continue going to WC shows. WC is for the big boys and the way they want to play the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Medeabrass said:

I still find elements of the activity that amaze me.  The proficiency of the brass lines is superior now and I spend much more time in the lot to get an unadulterated sample.  I think I'm getting better at filtering out that which I don't like and fully appreciating that which I do.   

For what it's worth, last year was probably the best year I've witnessed in a long long time.  The activity is what it is and I hope I will always find new ways to love her.  Maybe this is how 60 year marriages work.

WOW!

I could have written this segment, too. For me, FloMarching Multi-Cam is keeping me in the "game" perfectly. It shows me a view of the corps I've never seen before. I have been re-energized - right here at home!

5 minutes ago, Medeabrass said:

The cat's out of the bag.  DCI is impervious to complaints from the fans.  I have been a part of shows that have garnered huge complaints.  I feel like I've been on both sides of the so called "innovation" fence as a performer and now as a fan.

It's weird that we allow "new toys" to supposedly foster creative expression, yet I look across the activity and most of what I see is derivative.  Every now and then a corps really takes a chance and does something truly revolutionary.  Then, the next year I see a bunch of followers doing those same things (badly out of context usually) just because they think it's required or cool.  I haven't seen the sheets, but from the outside looking in, it's pretty apparent the "new toys" become a compulsory element over time.  Whether this is a judging bias or an actual element on the sheets I don't know.   Body movement comes to mind as an example.

Sometimes, I think it's the competitive nature of drum corps that limits true creativity and not the rules of the game.  On the other hand, if it wasn't competitive, how could we truly reward or penalize for following or not following said rules?  It's the nature of the beast.  

The older I get, the more I realize how pointless and ego-centric competition in art really is.  In my opinion, more beauty is created when one endeavors simply for the love of doing as opposed to the chance to feed my ego and claim my art is somehow superior to yours.  21 year old me woulda said "are you sh****n' me" to that statement but pursuing greatness to be better than the next guy in and of itself can be limiting.  It potentially leaves a lot of achievement on the table.

Competition is for the performers in order to push themselves to greater heights; the Art is for the designers who paint their field palates with sound an sight; the Arena is where this takes place; the Audience being entertained helps motivate the performers with cheers and supports the existance with paid tickets and purchased souvues. All are vital to the high quality we have in DCI, but when any one of these attempts to bully the other into submission problems arise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Competition is for the performers in order to push themselves to greater heights; the Art is for the designers who paint their field palates with sound an sight; the Arena is where this takes place; the Audience being entertained helps motivate the performers with cheers and supports the existance with paid tickets and purchased souvues. All are vital to the high quality we have in DCI, but when any one of these attempts to bully the other into submission problems arise.

Always critical for the audience to be AMPED !

Just now, Stu said:

I get it.  I'm not even suggesting anything should change.  Just illuminating an aspect of how we find ourselves where we are now.  One of those being that the competition element could be a reason there's a disconnect with the audiences who buy said tickets and souvies.  I'm just recognizing the nature of the beast as I see it.   Drum Corps was the best possible thing for me at that age because it combined my 3 favorite things: sports, competition, and music.  

• Like 1

To me,allowing the use of any front bell brass instrument,pushed what could be considered Drum Corps to its limit.

If WW are allowed,how is the activity not just summer marching band ?

Then again when, as was pointed out earlier,high school band directors are the driving force behind show designs,and when you have one corps director running his own high school band syndicate,what would you expect ?

Edited by rpbobcat