On 7/19/2017 at 8:37 PM, Jeff Ream said:

I'll be at Scranton 

Have fun!!!

The new venue is a good one.

I'll get the review finished by the end of the week. I "only" worked 9 hours 20 (4:00PM to 3:05AM) yesterday and have to be back at 445PM. I am feeling a bit better- we're below 90F right now and I didn't unload/load, sorted instead which is tough but nowhere near as bad.

BITD, the heat never got to me. A by-product of all the corps practices that pretty much made you very tough in regards to heat. The last 3-4 summers and almost 22 years at the job come August... I guess I'm getting older. :satisfied:

I liked Sun a lot- the musical program is I think easily the best they've had over the past 4 seasons, but some things need to be done. More a by-product of their youth and learning curve than anything that you sit there and panic over.

Guys, I've wasted another half hour writing about Sun and got another "500 internal server error" that I can't correct. I've wasted about 3 hours of my time and effort trying to get this blasted review up and I'm getting sick of it. HELP! HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Guys, I've wasted another half hour writing about Sun and got another "500 internal server error" that I can't correct. I've wasted about 3 hours of my time and effort trying to get this blasted review up and I'm getting sick of it. HELP! HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!

easy...type it up on word. save it periodically.

cut and paste to DCP

• Like 1

Got a plan.

Sun's "miRAge"  combines the new in the form of Melillo's "Festival of Light" with the old standards of Ellington's "Caravan" in a fresh setting along with the "Bacchanal" from "Samson and Delilah". It's a very enjoyable and accessible book, and some potentially great and exciting moments are designed into the program. The brass section is fundamentally well grounded and capable- but, there I counted three moments set up beautifully where they need to rise above the black notes on white paper base of the charts. They need to forget they're reallly nice folks, get in touch with their bad side and cut loose on the sideline park n' bark, the big lateral form and in the Tuba Feature, which needs to get everyone involved- not just 2 of them with a third trying to help when they can. The Tubas need to make this happen for the entire Tuba and Euphonium Brotherhood and Sisterhood so certain folks will shut up about us having issues beyond half notes..... The Baritone Feature has a great sound and projection, but needs more of a sinuous, exotic, and spicy feel to their solos to really make them pop and come alive.

If Sun can really bring the impacts and excitement written into this program to the fore, they'll be a very exciting and really enjoyable corps to watch and listen to by the end of the season.

• Like 1

I'm deeply appreciative of the Cabs' "Path of Remembrance" show. The way the various musical threads and ideas weave though and around each other is marvelous, and the use of the French Horn features really sets a wonderful tone to the program. The use is exact and insanely correct and appropriate for the feelings and moods the Cabs wish to share with the listener. It couldn't have been accomplished through more traditional means. The musicians on those instruments are also fantastic. :worthy:Once the inner harmonic voices in the Trombone feature lock in in terms of intonation, that'll also be a great moment as well. Yes, Trombones, and the parts are written very well and specifically for the instrument. It's not being done just for the sake of throwing out some Trombones. For those more traditionally minded and for those who just like the excitement, the Cabs also have some pretty good screamers on trumpet in La Fiesta, so there's something for everyone.

The uniforms are also more bright and colorful this season, which I think is a great improvement, and adds a lot visually. There are a lot of ideas that just need to be cleaned and made more defined and exact in the visual package- then it will have some real pop.

The big question mark at this point is Percussion. The seven tenth split from the top percussion number to the bottom represents a serious message. The book is obviously there and understandable, but it needs to be performed with a lot more quality. If it is... and I think more like when it is.... the Cabs can conservatively pick up an easy point to a point and a half from that issue alone. It'll also have a fair amount of bleed-over into ensemble music and music effect as well.

The show just speaks to me on a  lot of levels and emotions- which is just..., so, so cool. :happy:

Edited by BigW
Add more stuff!

The Barley Wine (yeah, I learned from Corps not to waste my time drinking bad beer after work to treat myself after a hard day's work, one should drink quality stuff!) is kicking in and it's 6 AM. I think I figured out what to do now to circumvent the 500 error.

I'll get to C2 and their rocking chairs and the Bucs and their show that has more BOOM! ZAP! POW! BLAM! than a Tom and Jerry cartoon or an Adam West Batman versus the Riddler fight later today or Friday morning. :satisfied:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigW said:

I'll get to C2 and their rocking chairs and the Bucs and their show that has more BOOM! ZAP! POW! BLAM! than a Tom and Jerry cartoon or an Adam West Batman versus the Riddler fight later today or Friday morning.

giphy.gif