DCI Central Texas, Belton, TX - July 20th

1 hour ago, monarch said:

"And that kind of comment was called for because? You can attack me all you want, that's great, but please stop attacking the performers, or do you like [acting like] a moron?"

Sorry, had to do it. We all "judge" performance and result. and it has no regard to the performers. They're all working hard to produce a product to be enjoyed. We all probably agree more than we disagree. 

We probably do. 

Edited by Newseditor44

Ok!  Quick Thoughts.  I was side two 45 9 rows up.  

Horizon (Pre Show Soundsport Exhibition) - Really mature sounds for such a small group, was a nice surprise.  Solid show that the members obviously enjoyed performing.  They would make a great addition to Open Class.  

Genesis - Strong in all sections but especially brass, fantastic tone and clarity.  Show is full of easy to recognize music packaged in an easy to get theme.  Wish it maybe wasn't so expected but still a great effort on all fronts.  

Pioneer - Fun Les Mis show, that singer is FANTASTIC!  Loved her, the use of barricades was cool too.  Lost gas towards the end but still a very solid effort.  

Jersey Surf - Brass could really pump out the volume at times and percussion/guard were very solid.  The wind was chaos on their props, and even if that didn't happen they didn't do much of anything with them.  But fun music and a great vibe overall.  

Mandarins - WOW.  Did not disappoint!  Incredible maturity from the performers on all fronts, they sold this show from entering the field to the last note in every way.  TONS of fantastic moments throughout, the highlight of which is easily the ballad.  The color guard is downright stunning, incredible job by them.  Percussion was amazing too and brass as well.  I think what put them over Madison Scouts was effect/performance confidence.  

Colts - BIG surprise, loved this one.  Absolutely beautiful show, it's a show I've seen before in terms of left brain/right brain but done very well nonetheless.  The trombone soloist/DM sound INCREDIBLE in the ballad, such mature and fantastic playing.  Color guard was beautiful too.  Great job, brass really pumped the volume at the end.  

Troopers - They're trying, really trying.  And it sells at times, the ballad is fantastic and they sound great the whole show.  Percussion is fantastic.  Just not sure about all things visual.  Regardless, great music.  

Madison Scouts - They sound great, march great, spin well, and drum well.  But this show is in desperate need of a few WOW moments.  That's what seperates Mandarins show from them, because I thought they were very solid in all captions and performed very well.  The show is just missing that invisible IT factor.  I enjoyed it, but it still needs more punch.  

The Academy - Crowd really enjoyed this one where I was.  Yes it's hokey and cheesy but I think they're starting to buy into that.  Ensemble sounds is really strong at times and the guard is really selling it the best they can.  I think it's starting to gel more.  Still seems like they're catching up after making some changes but it was fun.  

Crossmen - Wow, they sound amazing!  Percussion in the opener is seriously cool and bad ### and that first big brass entrance is explosive.  Ballad hit is super super super juicy too, that was a great moment.  And the ending is fantastic as well, just straight up good drum corps.  They lose me a little between those moments but overall I really enjoyed it a lot more in person.  Glad to see they're doing more with the props.  

Boston Crusaders - .........wow.  This was a real treat.  Every single moment is immaculately planned and you know exactly where to look and what to listen to.  Color Guard is absolutely phenomenal, they don't just spin or toss or dance.........they command and dominate every bit of your attention.  Brass and percussion were EXPLOSIVE as well, they play with incredible musicality and control throughout.  The ending......screw historical accuracy.  LET HER BURN!!!!!!  That was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen at a live drum corps show.  By far my favorite of the night.  

Blue Stars - The show is really coming along well, they continue to layer and refine moments throughout the show and this thing has TONS of gas left in the tank.  I've seen BOA show thrown around and there are probably a lot more I would call BOA before this one, especially one I saw in Broken Arrow.  This brass line.......WOW.  I don't care what the scores say, they absolutely took my breath away.  Those mello unisons in the opener and high brass feature in the closer are what I as a future educator dream about.  Low brass was kick ### too.  Percussion was as good as ever, that drum feature is seriously fun.  And the guard is FANTASTIC!  The stuff they do blows my mind.  Overall, love the progress and dat brass.  

Carolina Crown - Opener felt a tad reserved compared to when I saw them on Tuesday night but the closer COOKED tonight!  I'm starting to like this show more, just need to see it again in terms of the overall picture.  Singer is fantastically talented, I'm sick of seeing people go after her.  Usage and blend is improving with each show.  And percussion.......loved it tonight.  They are seriously fun in the closer, most I've enjoyed a Carolina Crown percussion section in a long time.  

ENCORE - WOW.  This might have been my favorite part of the night, if you can catch these guys playing La Vie en Rose/Shofukan DO IT!  Getting up close and personal with that was absolutely incredible, they sounded amazing.  

Overall - Tons of fun shows.  Tons of great people.  Fun night.  Screw scores.  Gimme more stuff like that encore/BACs show/etc.  

• Like 8

I think I'm most surprised about the Colts and Troopers tie.  Troopers visual design is really holding them back and I think they are going to be disappointed with where they line up in San Antonio.

Crossmen beat Blue Stars. Was mistake on recaps. Fixed. 

World Class
Carolina Crown 87.400
2 Boston Crusaders 84.700
3 Crossmen 80.350
4 Blue Stars 80.100
5 Mandarins 76.750
6 Madison Scouts 75.900
7 The Academy 74.800
8 Colts 72.700
9 Troopers 72.700
10 Genesis 66.700
11 Jersey Surf 62.250
12 Pioneer 60.200

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I'm watching high cam too and I feel like that's the balance with voice they were achieving in Massillon. In other words when you see Crown live the balance between voice and brass is not nearly as loud (vocal perspective) as it sometimes appears on the computer broadcasts. 

I'd read that the balance was better live, so when I saw them in BA on Tuesday I was expecting a more seamless blend.  I sat on the 42 about fifteen rows up and it didn't sound any better in person.  

48 minutes ago, CACTSC said:

correction is the music analysis score for blue stars..

originally posted as 16.5

recalc as