DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

DCI Denton/DCI North Texas/Red River Thunder Review

I will only be talking about corps that have shown change from years past or really lit up to me

Spirit of Atlanta: They through a big curve ball at me man. I didn't expect that. It was loud. Their rips were perfectly timed and done. I believe they deserve the score they got.

Phantom Regiment: They looked menacing at the beginning. It was quite intimidating. Loved the beginning, but honestly the rest was typical. I didn't see anything shout out to me. I mean, don't get me wrong it was a wonderful show. It just didn't shine to me. I also think their score was well deserved.

Cadets: I loved how the show begins with a bang. It made me happy. The vocalist did a great job at the National Anthem and for their show. But, nothing will top Carolina Crown's 2012 vocalist. Also, well done mellos.

Cavaliers: My new favorite corp. Oh my god. The funny and slightly inappropriate joke was perfect. The show was great, I really think they got first in general effect. It was great. Sadly, for me, I was in section BB. The section less than 8 feet from the speaker. It was also the loudest performance of the night and I have no ear drums now. Oh dear. Well done Cavies. By the way, spinning the quads on the turning things was a great idea.

Bluecoats: The beginning was wonderful. But, the rest of it didn't really excite me. I think people have fallen bandwagon to the corp that they have brain washed themselves into not listening for other corps. Like I said with Phantom, don't get me wrong they were great. But, I expected more because of the hype. Now, trumpets need a breather. That is all I have to say about that.

Vanguard: You deserve first place. That is for sure. I mean, the danger factor really helped with the intensity they were going for. By all means the show wasn't meant to be like Phantoms, but it had a sense of fear and danger in it. Great job on spinning on the wheel thing and not getting dizzy dude. That is talent. Well done and well deserves first place

Guardians - 58.450

Seattle Cascades - 66.200

Pacific Crest - 69.250

Oregon Crusaders - 69.400

Spirit of Atlanta - 69.600

Phantom Regiment - 80.300

Blue Knights - 81.600

The Cadets - 83.050

The Cavaliers - 84.900

Bluecoats - 86.350

Santa Clara Vanguard - 87.100

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Clearly you have horrible hearing. You should probably watch this if you think that the entire brass line is playing chords and this is not a hard brass book:

Just have to say, the mello parts starting at about 1:36 make me feel warm and fuzzy in ways that I really can't say in polite company.

• Like 9

SCV had great brass man

2 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

Just have to say, the mello parts starting at about 1:36 make me feel warm and fuzzy in ways that I really can't say in polite company.

Agree. That Mello line is SMOKIN'!!

YOOOOOOOOOOOO BROTEIN SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crown1253 said:

SCV had great brass man

Just got back from the show. That was the best their hornline has sounded since probably 2004. Really took my breath away, and I did not expect that from SCV.

Edited by jeffmolnar
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Just got back from the show. That was the best their hornline has sounded since probably 2004. Really took my breath away, and I did not expect that from SCV.

SCV seems to have the complete show this year.   Scary thing is, there room for more layering.    They'll continue to clean and by the time Indy rolls around, perhaps unstoppable this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pudding said:

Force of Nature I'll give you, but Scheherazade and Spark of Invention were incredibly percussion-focused. Scheherazade slightly less so (I'm primarily criticizing the balance based solely on the gigantic amount of musical material available in the Rimsky-Korsakov that could have been used instead of one or two drum breaks), but Spark of Invention was practically built entirely around a percussion gimmick (the theremin) with drum breaks everywhere.

Did you check the percussion gimmick for this year?  Oh what great stuff! 

2 hours ago, Memphis1980 said:

I got a little carried away...

No man! That was brilliant.

1 hour ago, pudding said:

Hmm I was pretty close. Recaps are about right I think, I'd want maybe a bit more credit in GE1 Rep for Bloo. Visual continues to be Bloo's bane, as ever. Very interesting Music recaps. Bloo takes percussion off of SCV! 

I believe the first time this season SCV lost in percussion. Appears that they took a hit in Achievement. So that may just be a bad run. How about the Cadets percussion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Agreed. JD Shaw is one of the best in the business, and I think it's a shame the hornline is playing second fiddle to the percussion this year. I think they struck an excellent balance from 2012-2016 

This is like opposite day. You're usually open to things like this, not that I think that the percussion is dominant in SCVs show.

I like the show, so maybe I'm just being less critical than I should, but I see a very balanced show; hornline plays a ton.