The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

I know this is the WC forum but just heard about this, but these guys need our help.  From what is in this video/what I've heard through some other channels they had a bunch of unexpected expenses and crap go down at once and it sounds like they are in serious financial distress right now.   I have adored the Legends the last few years.  It would absolutely kill me if they would fold or something would happen to them. I'm gonna give what I can, which isn't much but if a bunch of other people do the same it can go a really long way.  This kills me.  

• Like 5

Done.

They're at $14,700, which means that if another 853 people give them $100 by tomorrow, they'll make their goal. I really want that to happen. Please let it happen. There are certainly more than enough drum corps fans out there that if this message is share widely, they can do this. Tell your friends. Share their request on social media. It has been wonderful to see Legends grow over the past five years into one of the best Open Class corps and it would be awful to lose them.

BUT: "sometimes I don't let people know how bad it really is"?

That must be quite the understatement, if they've reached the point where you need $100,000 in one day or they''ll have to shut down, they need to seriously rethink what they're doing. There's no way that any prudent manager wouldn't have seen this problem looming months ago. Set benchmarks and be prepared to scale back accordingly. And be much more forthcoming with their constituents about what they need.

(This situation is not unique to drum corps. This organization in another performing arts field, for example, somehow raised $2 million last summer in a very short amount of time and now is moving forward under new leadership. But that was wrong too, and I'm very familiar with similar companies in San Jose, Buffalo, and elsewhere who got into similar situations and don't exist anymore.)

• Like 1

Can someone contact this organization and make sure that this is indeed not an internet hoax...I'm not saying it is...A wise man (RR) once said..

Trust, but verify.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Can someone contact this organization and make sure that this is indeed not an internet hoax...I'm not saying it is...A wise man (RR) once said..

Trust, but verify.

Well, that's really Legends' director, Ibe Sodawalla (I met him once and saw him speak on several occasions), unless he's got a doppelganger. And he gives out his personal phone number.

And the campaign is on Legends' actual Facebook page, which, just to make sure, I got to by following a link from DCI's home page. I also see it mentioned on their website and their Twitter feed.

So I think it's real, but wouldn't fault you for being cautious.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, that's really Legends' director, Ibe Sodawalla (I met him once and saw him speak on several occasions), unless he's got a doppelganger. And he gives out his personal phone number.

And the campaign is on Legends' actual Facebook page, which, just to make sure, I got to by following a link from DCI's home page. I also see it mentioned on their website and their Twitter feed.

So I think it's real, but wouldn't fault you for being cautious.

OK..thanks..I had no idea...asked and answered...good enough for me...

Edited by Liahona

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

According to what was just tearfully presented, this was not an unexpected emergency on their part. It follows the exact same path of Revolution, Memphis/Forte, recent VK, ad infinitum;. They all placed their performers and staff out on the road knowing full well they did not have funds to begin with. They all hoped funding would materialize, and now this corps is apparently seeking $100,000 in less than 24 hours. When will people learn that running a DCI corps is a 'business' that facilitates a performance organization. If the youth are in dire trouble stuck out on the road without food and shelter, I am willing to help get them home safely. However, I will not financially support an administration that would follow the sane poor planning path of Revolution and the recent VK. And for those about to flame me please notice that I do indeed want to make sure the youth are safe.

Some red flags popped up for me too.  I'm guessing they were on a pretty thin line when the season began and then some housing stuff happened on the road and it pushed them over the edge.  

I'm not defending the decisions of the adults running the organization and hopefully if they get through this they will have learned their lesson and will use this as a reminder to operate within their means.  They were a corps I heard/observed as incredibly smart and steady in their growth as an organization and smart with what they did.  They've really exploded in size/touring the last few years.  Might be time to scale back again a little bit and recover IF they get through this.  

In the end it's about the kids, and it would really wreck me if something were to happen to them.  I donated some for the MMs.  They don't deserve any of this.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Sometimes I don't let people know how bad it really is"?

That must be quite the understatement, if they've reached the point where you need $100,000 in one day or they''ll have to shut down, they need to seriously rethink what they're doing. There's no way that any prudent manager wouldn't have seen this problem looming months ago. Set benchmarks and be prepared to scale back accordingly. And be much more forthcoming with their constituents about what they need.

And the excuse is always, "We did this for the kids". Well how the #### is placing them in a situation like this looking out for the best interest of the youth!!!! That is what makes me so Livid!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Some red flags popped up for me too.  I'm guessing they were on a pretty thin line when the season began and then some housing stuff happened on the road and it pushed them over the edge.  

I'm not defending the decisions of the adults running the organization and hopefully if they get through this they will have learned their lesson and will use this as a reminder to operate within their means.  They were a corps I heard/observed as incredibly smart and steady in their growth as an organization and smart with what they did.  They've really exploded in size/touring the last few years.  Might be time to scale back again a little bit and recover IF they get through this.  

In the end it's about the kids, and it would really wreck me if something were to happen to them.  I donated some for the MMs.  They don't deserve any of this.  

This eerily reminds me of 2012 when Teal Sound folded MID TOUR. The buses' literally left the kids on the curb stranded.

Mr. Director...pizz poor planning on your part...you don't WAIT til the last freaking minute and you MUST plan for emergencies and other contingencies so this does not happen...this is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to take care of these kids. Shame on you!

I'm sure the community will do what they can...but that still doesn't negate your responsibility...If I was a parent to one of these kids I would be horrified...

Edited by Liahona