The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

Over 93k now! Keep going the funding campaign is still live and able to accept donations. I sent an email last night to friends and raised a little over 3k from that group of boh outsiders and drum corps people

please consider doing the same!

with under 7k to go only need 70 people to donate $100 or 140 to donate $50

this is very doable now!

$93,028 $100,000

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

with under 7k to go only need 70 people to donate $100 or 140 to donate $50

this is very doable now!

$93,028 $100,000

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

I noted on other platforms that several people had delivered or planned on handing over checks tonight. May be closer than the fundraising page is reflecting.

• Like 1

Just now, mrk said:

I noted on other platforms that several people had delivered or planned on handing over checks tonight. May be closer than the fundraising page is reflecting.

That's awesome! I hope we get an announcement from the organization that the immediate needs have been satisfied 

• Like 1

$94K! $6000 to go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cpg35223 said:

I understand the unexpected. But this appears to be something completely different. No well-managed organization on the planet pipes up with "We need $100K in 24 hours or we fold." Instead, that means they let things slide until it hit critical mass and then shot up a flare. 

To me, it seems as if the board consensus is to give money to make sure the kids enjoy their tour rather than bail out the corps director over his lack of planning. 

Yes to your second paragraph. On nearly every page of this thread there are people saying, "I gave, but ...".

What seems to have happened, based on the description from the donations page, is that they already spent this $100,000 most to buy or make needed repairs on vehicles. That was at or before the beginning of the season. Probably they had hoped that those vehicles would survive for one more season before such replacement / repair was needed. Then they launched several fundraising campaigns to pay for that. When those didn't pan out, they announced this emergency funding drive, because they foresee that without this cash infusion, they couldn't continue this year's tour. For all we know, they actually will finish this year $93,000 in the black, thanks to today's drive, i.e., they may very well have broken even without this effort. I know the organization I works for gets several large grants throughout the year, but on a schedule set by the funding bodies. Maybe Legends knows that, e.g., the Michigan arts council will be issuing them a $100,000 grant this year, but it won't arrive until September.

Just made my donation. I know there was some bad planning that brought this to a head but I want the MMs to have the positive experince they deserve. Plus I am a believer of the addage, don't put principle before people.

• Like 7

On 7/21/2017 at 0:07 AM, Stu said:

Yes they are in danger because if the corps happens to raise the $100,000 they will go out in the road with the same stupid idiotic adults making decisions on their welfare. As for the youth hating someone like me let them hate; I care about their well being and who is placed in charge of their care, not really that much about their temporal performance experience being missed the rest of the season.

Do you have proof that they are stupid and/or idiotic adults or are you making assumptions?  Where is the actual evidence?  Are you trying to create a bandwagon of dogging on Legend staff?  Has a professional physician made the determination that the youth being sent home is truly in their best interest or is this your assumption.

You know I couldn't help but poke the bear... :sarcasm:

• Like 1

Now that I've poked Stu, here are some thoughts.

First, not all drum corps are funded or backed by high level corporate sponsors.  This is especially true in Open Class.  Also, growing quickly can be tough financially for any corps. Many of our Open Class corps are growing at an astounding rate (hello - did you see the size of Battalion?), which requires more equipment, more food, etc.  Yes the members pay fees, but the foundation for the structure has to be solid to be able to withstand that type of growth so quickly.  Open Class does not have near the fan base (sure we all support them, but have you checked out the Open Class forum? Zzzzzzzz) - it's impressive they've raised the funds they have so quickly.  Remember, equipment trucks and food appliances hardly ever malfunction at the perfect time - just like a/c's seem to go out on the hottest day of the year.  Murphy is a sly son of a gun!  

Now, that's not to say that even if the funds are raised this shouldn't be looked at under a microscope.  A financial analysis should absolutely be done & things gone through with a fine tooth comb.  A general rule of business - if you are in the red, it's advisable to cut costs to help catch up.  I have a feeling there is a snowball effect happening (just a feeling Stu, not factual).  I was curious to look at their 990, which hasn't been uploaded to the Guidestar since 2012.  For the record, any person can request these documents at any time from any corps and they are legally obligated to release them.  Not saying you should do that -- they have enough things to deal with right now.

I truly wish them the best of luck and have donated to help their cause.  I also hope the board & directors take a serious look at current practices & find out where things went off the rails.  March on Legends, we believe in you!  

• Like 7