The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

10 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

But I suppose any discussion about how tough it is to compete in the business of DCI would be a disservice to the needs of the Legends at this time.   I hope they get the cash and find a way to right the organization.

I think we can do both: discuss corps challenges generally and talk about what Legends needs. (The more active this thread is, the more people see it, which means more chances of donations.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think we can do both: discuss corps challenges generally and talk about what Legends needs. (The more active this thread is, the more people see it, which means more chances of donations.)

Ok.  Did it.  It's up to just under $16k.  

Next up...

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Again, the youth aren't helped by having this summer cut short.

"Hey, my corps experience ended early because some guy named Stu on DCP convinced enough people that it was a bad idea to donate to an organization whose financial status I was unaware of. Thanks Stu! I'm so grateful you've taught me this important life lesson."

Yes they are helped by getting them away from someone who does not know how dangerous it was to place the youth in this situation in the first place!! The lives and welfare of the youth are far greater than the temporal experience of performing the rest if the season. And it matters but what the youth think of me; I am interested in saving thief butts not their performance.  NE, I love ya, I do, but this is the same type of dangerous situation other now defunct corps did; and while nostalgasitcly speaking they are missed but I for one am glad they are gone; because they were not really looking out for the welfare of the youth; and apparently neither are the adults in charge of this corps. Save the youth, not the corps.

Edited by Stu

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, I can't do both right now, because I have to get some sleep. They've raised $16K in four hours. That pace is not quite enough to hit their goal, especially since it will surely drop off overnight, but I hope it picks up again in the morning.

(And if you know people in the greater Kalamazoo area, encourage them to see Legends' show this weekend in Plainwell. Doubtless high ticket sales would help them.)

Five years ago, two corps put out emergency calls for help. I donated to both: Bushwackers, who needed less than Legends are asking for, and Glassmen, who needed a lot more. Glassmen folded a few months later. Bushwackers are still going. These things don't always work out, but they can.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Yes they are helped by getting them away from someone who does not know how dangerous it was to place the youth in this situation in the first place!! The lives and welfare of the youth are far greater than the temporal experience if performing the rest if the season. NE, I love ya, I do, but this is the same type of dangerous situation other now defunct corps did; and while nostalgasitcly speaking they are missed but I for one am glad they are gone; because they were not really looking out for the welfare of the youth; and apparently neither are the adults in charge of this corps. Save the youth, not the corps.

Are they really in danger? You don't know that. As far as I know, the members are in Kalamazoo, where they perform Saturday. As far as I know, Ibe Sodawalla managed the finances well enough to get them through their southern tour and back home, and he had hopes that other funding would materialize, but it didn't (I've known donors to pledge their support and then change their minds; it's always painful to have write-off that debt, but it happens), and now he's making the prudent financial decision: raise $100,000 or send the members home early. So that they won't be in any danger. You don't know otherwise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are they really in danger? You don't know that. As far as I know, the members are in Kalamazoo, where they perform Saturday. As far as I know, Ibe Sodawalla managed the finances well enough to get them through their southern tour and back home, and he had hopes that other funding would materialize, but it didn't (I've known donors to pledge their support and then change their minds; it's always painful to have write-off that debt, but it happens), and now he's making the prudent financial decision: raise $100,000 or send the members home early. So that they won't be in any danger. You don't know otherwise.

Yes they are in danger because if the corps happens to raise the $100,000 they will go out in the road with the same stupid idiotic adults making decisions on their welfare. As for the youth hating someone like me let them hate; I care about their well being and who is placed in charge of their care, not really that much about their temporal performance experience being missed the rest of the season.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This eerily reminds me of 2012 when Teal Sound folded MID TOUR. The buses' literally left the kids on the curb stranded.

Mr. Director...pizz poor planning on your part...you don't WAIT til the last freaking minute and you MUST plan for emergencies and other contingencies so this does not happen...this is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to take care of these kids. Shame on you!

I'm sure the community will do what they can...but that still doesn't negate your responsibility...If I was a parent to one of these kids I would be horrified...

I have been so livid I passed by this post, sorry. You are correct about who is responsible and that the parents should be gravely concerned. Lone Star, if memory serves, was another corps that followed the same path as Teal.

Didn't Legends just get new uniforms this year?  Bad planning if the financial outlook was not stable to get the corps down the road for the summer.  I've heard good things about Ibe from others. I believe he is a former MM for Scouts.  I will donate a c-note to the cause. I just hope things work itself in the best interest of the members.  The corps may need to scale back for awhile and not try so much to keep up with the Joneses.  

• Like 1

Oh my goodness.

They were fantastic last season with "The Grid" and appear to be having another great season. This shouldn't be happening.

I really want to donate, but don't have much. But if you care about corps doing well both competitively and financially as much as I do, PLEASE donate. I hope other corps spread this news too.