The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm going to email a couple well-funded friends. Putting a list of about 100 folks together with a link and a plea 

Can't just rely on drum corps fans only. Hope it helps!

For yourself or for Legends?

George, I keed, I keed...

• Like 1

A small tidbit of additional information: Their head drum major is in his eleventh year with the organization (since their inception in 2006) and is aging out this year.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And surpassed it. At 5 p.m. (EDT), they were pretty much right at $74K. I believe the campaign started last night at 11, which means they need to raise another $26K in 6 hours, or $4,333 per hour. Still a formidable challenge. Let's hope the enthusiasm doesn't wane.

I've read more than a few references to the Glassmen - a corps many of us will always remember fondly.  Legends can be saved.  Glassmen, unfortunately, could not be.  They were well past the point of no return by the time anyone could really help stop their demise.  

I am inspired by the drum corps spirit by this drive.  I gave before and, feeling the spirit, I just gave again.    What the heck, I can live without a few less lunches next week.   Giving to help save this corps makes me feel better than any crappy, fast-food lunch can ever make me feel!

Go LEGENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

Your gift to LegendsNOW will make a difference to the youth through the experiences we provide through music and performance.

Our mission is to develop and enrich lives of youth through performing arts.  Your gift continues to make all that we do at Legends possible.

b17b4392-55e6-11e7-962e-06bc647b1d52.png

Ibe Sodawalla
Executive Director/CEO
Founder

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Musicman1084 said:

+1 for Joni.

Ha! I had never heard that song before ("A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell).

I was thinking of the Shakespeare play that was lately protested in Central Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Serious question: What do you tell all the former youth who were in Teal, Revo, Glassmen, Lone Star, etc who were also in dire straights like this and the response on DCP and other online sites for them was opposite of the phenomenon currently at hand?

First, Glassmen finished the season in 2012 and made the difficult choice not to field a corps in the fall of 2012. If memory serves me correctly, Glassmen did raise a fair amount in their appeal, but the debt was much higher than Legends and after not making finals in 2011 and 2012, retention and recruitment were issues. I can recall talking with some kids who marched with Glassmen after the parade in Indy who claimed as much as they loved Glassmen, they wanted to march with BD, Cadets, or Crown. I went to the Bristol show in 2013 and parked my car near the warm up area for Cadets percussion and I ran into two of the young people I met who marched with Glassmen. So the issue was not just money, recruitment was a challenge too. 

With Teal, the actual story is still pretty fuzzy and again was more than just not having the money. Remember the finger pointing between the directors and marching members got pretty ugly and there were a few heated situations in the prior winter.

There is no need to explain anything to kids who marched with corps who have folded due to financial issues. Legends obviously has supporters who put up the funds needed. No explanation is needed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

+1 for Joni.

I believe I get where Stu is coming from, and not that he needs me to defend him...it is looking at this situation through a different lens. Why a plea for $100k in 24 hours? Did no one see this coming? If not, Why? That is poor management plain and simple and it is grossly irresponsible. Now, given, we do not know the details and are forced to assume...and given how many corps have folded due to poor management, bridging the assumption that Legends caused this issue by poor management is not a hard one to make, there are plenty of past examples to draw from...so, if that is true, then this is not a long term solution and a simple band-aid/temp fix if said management practices continue. That is the larger question that I believe Stu is asking. Issues with equipment should be factored in and depreciated as each year passes, knowing repairs/replacements are coming. And yes, sometimes more hits you at once that anticipated...but the question still has to be asked. 

I know of a corps a few years ago that had a large ask of close to $100k and it was needed in like a week...and it was because of poor management. Sometimes the hard questions need to be asked, and many times the answers are not pretty. On the flip side, I also know of a corps whose bus company changed the terms of the deal mid-season and demanded full payment or they were recalling the buses, and would have left the corps stranded in TX. Now, that is a legitimate unforeseen hardship and nothing to do with management of the corps. Luckily, things were handled and they marched on Saturday night in Indy, and the members never really knew anything was up. 

Now with that said, I hope Legends exceed their goal, I hope their management of how the organization is run is on solid footing, and I hope they continue their mission for years to come. But...if someone is asking some hard questions, I would not assume that person wants said corps to fail, rather get it together, because $100k in a day is quite a large ask and almost unbelievable the situation occurred to begin with. But it did...the broader question is Why. 

Let's hope $110k is achieved...that would be remarkable. It already is as it stands now...

Edited by JKT90