The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I've watched the video twice, and judging from some comments, some have watched it more than twice. This is not a professional video, and while the message is heartfelt, it may be too long and rambles more than a bit which is leading to a great deal of chatter here which is speculation at best. While having a business model for a non profit is always the best way, even with the best business plans, there are unexpected challenges. I know of a non profit medical clinic which served the poor had its line of credit revoked due to changes in insurance policies (pre Obama Care). The bank feared they would not be repaid. The organization survived, but barely. Smaller Catholic and private schools have been financially solvent at the beginning of a school year but something such as a boiler malfunction and students deciding not  to return can change everything. With drum corps, how many over the years have been promised huge donations that at the last minute are cancelled?  I know from experience that these kind of things can happen, and the pain, sleepless nights, etc. are real. Remember too, armchair designing or judging is very different than armchair directing a corps. As of now, they are 29% toward the goal. I hope it happens for them and I'm sure there will be lessons learned.

Which of these three is more likely? They had an immediate catastrophic event; had abrupt changes in policy like described above; or that horrible management simply placed them in this dire situation.

43 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Fair comment.

But, when I marched, tour fees (granted, much lower tour fees) were due in FULL by the end of January. When does the DCI schedule come out?

November...around thanksgiving. 

To me, the desperate nature of the plea makes me skeptical.  Was this all due to "the perfect storm", poor management choices, a combination of both?  Unfortunately we don't know for sure, and may never know for sure.  But what worries me more, is that they actually raise the funds in time, continue on tour and have another set of issues arise when they are potentially 1,000 miles from home and the MM's are in a less than "safe and sound" situation.  Maybe staying home is the best answer for the long term survival of the organization.

If you are looking for another heart felt plea, here's one from one of their MMs, forwarded to me by one my kids shaking me down for another donation :-)  This is buzzing around at the student level as well:

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

If you are looking for another heart felt plea, here's one from one of their MMs.  This is buzzing around at the student level as well:

What an amazing kid with broad insight.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Maybe staying home is the best answer for the long term survival of the organization.

Staying home is the best answer for the immediate well being of the youth; long-term survival of the corps can be an issue for later discussion down the road.

21 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

If you are looking for another heart felt plea...

Nope, I am not. If it were a heartfelt plea to help kids with food, water, medical supplies in a disastrous situation; fine.  But an emotional pleas to save the tour is irrelevant to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

But what worries me more, is that they actually raise the funds in time, continue on tour and have another set of issues arise when they are potentially 1,000 miles from home and the MM's are in a less than "safe and sound" situation.  Maybe staying home is the best answer for the long term survival of the organization.

Here are the locations of Legends' remaining shows, and the distance from their home, which is Kalamazoo:

Plainwell, MI --- 15 miles

Cape Girardeau, MO -- 511 miles

Metamora, IL -- 285 miles

White Lake, MI -- 137 miles

Waukesha, WI -- 263 miles

Sheffield, PA -- 430 miles

Avon Lake, OH -- 251 miles

Michigan City, IN -- 92 miles

Indianapolis, IN -- 244 miles

If they can't raise all they need, maybe they can cut some of the longer drives.

A few years ago, Raiders posted a note to their members publicly, telling them that if they didn't pay their outstanding dues, the corps would not make the trip to championships. Apparently the membership responded, because they were at Michigan City and Indianapolis, and they're still in operation. What Legends has done here is a version of the same thing, in my opinion.

But do we know that there's any danger of anyone being stranded?

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Life isn't always fair.

And we sometimes make things worse, especially longer term, by wanting to intervene to correct the pain of unfair.

100,000 $ needed in 24hrs? Really.... And what would that cover? I'm very skeptical to say the least. We can all donate a large amount of $$ but who knows what and were it goes. This should not happen right in the middle of a touring season.