The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...housing contingencies)"?  Did Ibe say something about housing costs in the video that I missed?  Where did you get that?

It, among other things, is listed on the campaign website:

• 35K to replace our equipment trailers, as our old trailer was no longer safe to travel
  • 12K to replace our appliances on our food trailer and additional adjustments
  • 8K in additional rental vehicle expense and repairs for support vehicle breakdown early tour
  • 15K in addiitonal expenses for corps housing needs that has risen through the season
  • 30K in equipment replacements and additions for our growing corps, and additional general operating expectations

Edited by Spandy

2 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

When is the independent accountant do his evaluation?  During the Winter months most corps books look pretty lean.  Cash doesn't start coming until members start paying their dues and fund raising starts.  Wait until April or May and then you have to pull the plug late.

Fair comment.

But, when I marched, tour fees (granted, much lower tour fees) were due in FULL by the end of January. When does the DCI schedule come out?

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

Whaaaaa?  What evidence do you have to confirm this presumption of yours?  Them's is some pretty big contentions, IMO, and nothing at all like what is described during the process.

Without substantiating proof of your explanation, isn't it also plausible that the current vetting system was established by the DCI BoD in order to assure the safety of the kids in specifically these circumstances?  Is it so hard to believe - have the corps done something to demonstrate otherwise - that they are actually looking out for the best interest of the kids they allow to participate?

I just can't get my head around the supposed benefit that BD or Crown or PR would attain by eliminating competition in their circuit.  Taken to its extreme (and as discussed in many discussions here prior) a WC circuit of only 7 or 8 becomes a slow BLAST! death of the activity.  IMO, the "top" corps absolutely know it's in their corps' best interest to generate as much competitive buzz as they can in every stadium.  If that means 'Coats beating BD or Academy reaching finals or Genesis making to the big dance or a new Soundsport team with aspirations of attaining OC, the top of the activity is keenly aware of the "gate" that is drawn by having others nipping at their heels.

I won't go into too much detail here (it would be better done over a beer), but I'll tell you the "formal vetting process" by DCI is a good one focused on financial stability, safety, etc.  I was flipping flapjacks in the food trailer when Dan Atchison came by to see our food operation.

But the real obstacle is the vote by the existing WC corps (the BoD) on adding another corps.  And that's the point where it was crystal clear that it came down to gate fees and sharing the wealth.  There was substantial discussion about Genesis' ability to draw fans, bring income so as not to "take away" from the other corps.  Sadly, the real behind the scenes discussion was mostly about the big corps pocketbooks, not kids safety.  Sorry to share that gloomy reality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, garfield said:

All this speculation is the kind of "piling on" that doesn't help anything and only spreads rumors.  It's also one of the reasons why some directors think that DCP is a bunch of know-it-all-do-nothings who have lots of scorn and myriad solutions for those who are actually out there doing it.

Fair, but Legends has raised more than $12,000 since this DCP thread was posted, and some of that is definitely because of this thread.

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...likely known..." is speculation.  Period.

But I understand that it's the cornerstone of your argument.

"...housing contingencies)"?  Did Ibe say something about housing costs in the video that I missed?  Where did you get that?

How it "appears" to you is, apparently, significantly divorced from reality and based on nothing but speculation.

You should stop until the facts do come out, and you should not donate until they've convinced you that the problems that led them to this position are not likely to repeat.

I contend that I am speculating.  But it is not without careful analysis of both the info presented in the video as well as what has been a 'consistent' cause of the demise with most all other of the plethora of corps which have done this same very thing, then folded.  If they did indeed have a catastrophic event, or events, that caused immediate $100,000 debt I will acquiesce. But until then, I am standing on my speculation that this was not an immediate disaster but a grossly mismanaged situation.

4 minutes ago, Cainan said:

In most corps, the uniform costs are built in to tour / member fees so that's pretty much a non issue. Did they get more equipment? Most likely as the corps has grown significantly in numbers.. would you prefer they played on Plastitrumpets to save money? And whether we like it or not.."keeping up with the Joneses" is a requirement in todays activities. Gone are the days when there were 300+ corps that could cater for all levels and needs. We have what.. about 45 (70 if you include DCA) corps left... all vying for the cream of the crop talent wise... I aged out of Freelancers in 92... Both BDB and Vanguard Cadets would have EASILY made finals back in my day. Back then, BDB and Vanguard Cadets marched corps sizes of around 50... today each are at the 150 level. The performers are still out there, but there are less corps to attract them, hence the corps HAVE to present a package that those performers want to go to. 

As for the performers in Legends.. why should they have to have their summer ruined because of this? They've done nothing to deserve this.

...except chosen that corps.

2 minutes ago, Cainan said:

In most corps, the uniform costs are built in to tour / member fees so that's pretty much a non issue. Did they get more equipment? Most likely as the corps has grown significantly in numbers.. would you prefer they played on Plastitrumpets to save money? And whether we like it or not.."keeping up with the Joneses" is a requirement in todays activities. Gone are the days when there were 300+ corps that could cater for all levels and needs. We have what.. about 45 (70 if you include DCA) corps left... all vying for the cream of the crop talent wise... I aged out of Freelancers in 92... Both BDB and Vanguard Cadets would have EASILY made finals back in my day. Back then, BDB and Vanguard Cadets marched corps sizes of around 50... today each are at the 150 level. The performers are still out there, but there are less corps to attract them, hence the corps HAVE to present a package that those performers want to go to. 

As for the performers in Legends.. why should they have to have their summer ruined because of this? They've done nothing to deserve this.

Saying that uniform costs are built into tour/member fees is exactly the same kind of speculation that everyone else is doing.  We really don't know exactly how they got into this mess and the video from the corps director does not explain things entirely, which makes it seem like things were mishandled.  And honestly, it's a sad activity when you have to "keep up with the Joneses" to survive.  I gave $25 but I'm giving $50 to a lower placing open class corps that I used to be affiliated with because they seem to be making responsible financial decisions not to try to do too much with their money, but I'm sure they could certainly benefit from it.

good go, you have to know your situation before the season. This is one of the reasons my corps folded after 1996...right when we were on the brink of something really good. point the blame later, now tlets make sure the membership is cared for. 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I contend that I am speculating.  But it is not without careful analysis of both the info presented in the video as well as what has been a 'consistent' cause of the demise with most all other of the plethora of corps which have done this same very thing, then folded.  If they did indeed have a catastrophic event, or events, that caused immediate $100,000 debt I will acquiesce. But until then, I am standing on my speculation that this was not an immediate disaster but a grossly mismanaged situation.

OK, now I can agree with you.

I won't make a contention and I'll not take a position based on such speculation, but your opinion is certainly valid and yours.

Just don't make your opinion irrefutable facts, 'cause they ain't

9 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I won't go into too much detail here (it would be better done over a beer), but I'll tell you the "formal vetting process" by DCI is a good one focused on financial stability, safety, etc.  I was flipping flapjacks in the food trailer when Dan Atchison came by to see our food operation.

But the real obstacle is the vote by the existing WC corps (the BoD) on adding another corps.  And that's the point where it was crystal clear that it came down to gate fees and sharing the wealth.  There was substantial discussion about Genesis' ability to draw fans, bring income so as not to "take away" from the other corps.  Sadly, the real behind the scenes discussion was mostly about the big corps pocketbooks, not kids safety.  Sorry to share that gloomy reality.

"Obstacle" on adding another corps?  I'm afraid you mischaracterize it.

Of course, the member corps are not interested in sharing the gate without limitation and they are keenly aware to address what happens to a pie divided into more pieces.  (I'm very aware of the discussions.)  But, unlike the debacle that was the G7, they also know that strong competition means more opportunities for more shows to attract more fans which should increase the size of the pie to divide.  If Genesis can't make the pie bigger, why should the WC corps "let them in"?

The characterization that the WC corps want to keep it all for themselves is not at all what I hear around the hallowed halls.  But I'm equally sure that they don't want to "share" with corps who perennially, or potentially, offer very little draw at the gate to increase the pie.

I call that rational, not selfish.