DCI Dallas --Another Hot One - Monday, July 24

Dallas DCI Experience -- Thumbs up and Thumbs Down on the event design/execution from a fogey who almost bought the '90s Crossmen CD from their Souvie booth. But then I remembered I don't have a CD player in my car. No comments on the competitive nature because these programs weren't designed to be consumed from the back side. Wait a second...I should rephrase...

1. Thumbs Up -- The Back Stands -- If you're the kind of person who enjoys watching the director's commentary in a movie, take a chance to sit in the back stands if you can. Fun to see stuff you don't normally see. Especially if it is your second viewing of a show. 
  2. Thumbs Up -- Crown's contrabasses -- For fancy footwork to kick the tarps back in place as they marched over it. 
  3. Thumbs Up -- LHHS volunteer staff and kids -- The evening is well run as always. 
  4. Thumbs Up -- To the good ol' boy who spotted my Railmen shirt and chatted me up. If we were playing a game of "That's what wrong with corps today bingo", dude would have won it in the first 40 seconds of conversation. Minor highlight of the show.
  5. Thumbs Up -- Free parking. 

1. Thumbs Down -- The stadium size. The Dallas show deserves a bigger stadium. God Bless ol' Ram/Wildcat, but man...This show would be magic in Gerald Ford stadium (SMU). No way in #@$@ the LHHS band gives it up without a fight. 
  2. Thumbs Down -- Designers Part 1 -- Eff the designers who are putting tarps down on the field in the first place. Troopers 5th bass went down in a tarp like a seal during Shark Week. 
  3. Thumbs Down -- Designers Part 2 -- Who don't let the kids F#@$!@#$ play and are writing 6 minutes of parts for an 11 min show. Or worse, doubling the $#@%$#@%#@$ contra parts on the keyboard.  I don't know which sin is worse, but I do know that Cadets DMs should make 'em say 40 Hail Mary's for penance before the designers get their hands on any more shows. 
  4. Souvie Design -- No cool, must have swag. C'mon folks! (Impromptu thumbs up to Surf and their old school uni display stand.)

I enjoyed something about all of the performances and disliked something about all of the performances. (The former being effort and execution from the marchers, the latter being design elements.) God speed to the kids on the field as they finish up the summer. If I figure out how to add pics and video, I will. Don't count on it. 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, afd said:

Boston 2nd in guard. That's impressive. 

Should have been first in guard.  BD had numerous drops and insecure or wobbly catches.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Memphis1980 said:

Should have been first in guard.  BD had numerous drops and insecure or wobbly catches.

Just remember there are TWO pieces to the pie...substance and achievement...I wasn't there so perhaps you saw different...

• Like 4

Once again.  It's as predictable as the Dallas heat in July.  One judge each show appears to have been drinking.

Tonight it was the drum judge.

5 minutes ago, Tone Quality Matters said:

Once again.  It's as predictable as the Dallas heat in July.  One judge each show appears to have been drinking.

Seems like the GE judges have been drunk all season with the scores they've been giving Bloo vs Crown

but that's just my opinion

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tone Quality Matters said:

Surprise homer surprises nobody. Be happy with your unbelievably generous GE scores.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

A win, is a win, is a win as they say...  ( nobody remembers how close BD was to Phantom Regiment winning it all in 2008 either.. haha!) Boston has 3 wins in a row over the Cadets now. Nobody last winter was predicting 3 wins  by Boston over the Cadets this season. Boston was in 14th place in ranking this nite one season ago ( Cadets in 5th last season this nite )

Very true. It's great to see Boston having this fantastic run in 2017. I think fans are also happy to see Cadets finally improving this show, which in my opinion is a much improved design over last year.  I am glad to see the competition and to see both corps doing well. Regardless of whether Cadets top Boston, nothing is going to downgrade this wonderful run the Crusaders are having this year. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

Just remember there are TWO pieces to the pie...substance and achievement...I wasn't there so perhaps you saw different...

Yes, I do, still stand by my opinion - 40 years worth.