DCI Dallas --Another Hot One - Monday, July 24

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

5fc6a922cef46c8c80df5e23335a1759651f3af1

Not a ######, but the imsistance that if my opinion differs from yours, I must not be "seeing" correctly is arrogance dressed up as information. Again just IMHO

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mega said:

Troopers need to do a bit more work on their tarps. 5th bass fell hard

And then the hat he left behind became a stumbling block for a few brass and guard members.  I was disappointed a judge did not remove the hat - this happened early in the show and was quite the danger the rest of the way.

8 minutes ago, Memphis1980 said:

Not a ######, but the imsistance that if my opinion differs from yours, I must not be "seeing" correctly is arrogance dressed up as information. Again just IMHO

I'll take the judge's opinion over any DCPer. Just saying. 

• Like 2

Not looking for anyone to name names, but I know some people here have talked to some judges before.

Have any of them ever admitted, looking back, "Yeah, I made a bad call from time to time that I'd probably make differently today?"

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Warm evening - but we got a bit if a heat respite from the morning rains.  Hopefully the corps got good work accomplished.

As mentioned previously - this stadium has been outgrown - but alas it's a band fundraiser, so it's not likely going anywhere.  This school took a chance on drum corps back when Texas was of no value to the tour.  They deserve it - but they could draw SO much more.

As a result of bad decision making on my part, I was left with scrambling for extra seats.  I ended up on the 15 yard line.  Bad news is the same as the good news - you can't/don't hear the electronics well out there.  The good news is I missed most of the Crown singing (I don't dislike the performer - I abhor the design - I want the brass, not the pipes), but some shows, you actually miss a bit of the content without hearing what is transpiring.  Again - bad design if the entire stadium can't get your show.  BD has no problem having their low end heard though - I think the meter peaks at level 12 on a 10 point scale with the left hand.  

Jersey Surf was a bit of a mystery - not sure what they were doing, although they sound nice for a young corps.
Troopers have some work to do - hard to fathom they were a finalist not that long ago.  I so want them to be good.
Colts looked nice - they move up a bit.  I enjoyed their presentation.  
Mandarins are quite good as we all know from their somewhat surprising scores.  Must be tough going on so early and still achieving!
Crossmen play with a lot of swagger - I like how they are presenting their show.
Boston sounds like Cadets (I wonder why?  :)) and really are on fire (no pun intended).
Cadets looked a good bit better than when I saw them last Thursday night, although from my seat, soloists seemed a bit off.
Blue Devils are throwing a lot out on the field.  I normally don't care for them (but respect what they accomplish), but this year I don't hate them right away.  The old school is awesome up front, Bumblebee is magnificent and then it just gets busy.  Rough run for the guard last night.  
Crown is solid and almost looks plain in this new DCI with no major props.  That is refreshing - but sadly, I think that holds them back and allows 'Coats to catch them in the end without some added oomph - a great brass line isn't enough.  
Bluecoats came with more energy tonight and changes from last Thursday were noticeable.  I don't think they can catch BD, but I think they can get into third when it's all done.

So - for what my opinion is worth, my heart is with SCV at the end, but my head is with BD.  I think they get number 18 (see it in the show?).  Of course this is all subject to changes and cleaning that happens - we have a good distance yet to travel. 

Performers = GREAT
Designers = Frustrating at times

No more live drum corps for me this year - off to the talkies and the interwebs for the rest of the season!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Euphscott said:

Troopers have some work to do--hard to fathom they were a finalist not that long ago. I so want them to be good.

Besides their 2009 appearance, Troopers have been pretty close in most subsequent years, and they've had what I would call finalist-quality shows more than once in that time, especially in 2013. Not that I necessarily would put them into Finals over the corps that made it, but if there is a level of quality that is "finals worthy", they achieved it. I don't feel that way this year, though, although I did enjoy much of the show both times I saw it.

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

.. but if there is a level of quality that is "finals worthy", they achieved it. I don't feel that way this year, though, although I did enjoy much of the show both times I saw it.

That was my point if not eloquently stated...this year is a bit of a shadow of previous achievement.  

Nice show - but not where they have been.  

Xmen just finished. Much better live then on the broadcast. Brass has a really nice full sound tonight. 

That made me smile. I agree 100% the show is better to see live. Pretty impressive to see where they started at Spring training to where they have all come now. I finally got to see it live with the new closer in San Antonio and it really made this Mom proud. I loved the Mandarins show too. We're in for a fun ride this season for sure. They are shooting for the stars and we all as fans get the benefit. Good luck to all.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CrossmenMelloMom said:

That made me smile. I agree 100% the show is better to see live. Pretty impressive to see where they started at Spring training to where they have all come now. I finally got to see it live with the new closer in San Antonio and it really made this Mom proud. I loved the Mandarins show too. We're in for a fun ride this season for sure. They are shooting for the stars and we all as fans get the benefit. Good luck to all.

posted from the DrumScorps app

^ You should be a proud mom.   

They were smoking on Saturday.  Brass has fantastic clarity and their articulated passages are off the hook.  Can totally attest to it being way better live.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, Cappybara said:

I'll take the judge's opinion over any DCPer. Just saying. 

I presume you mean - in this case, not universally. Either way, just opinion.