Corps staffers gather: What would you tell them

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Paragraph 5. On this point we will disagree because we will disagree about show design and what the activity is and is to be.  fundamentally. Your presentation is consistent with one philosophy. There are others and many. You emphasize show production. I emphasize the experience of the membership and those who arrive at the auditions.

You're proceeding under the false assumption that the two are mutually exclusive. They are not.

6 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

You're proceeding under the false assumption that the two are mutually exclusive. They are not.

You are presuming on my presumptions.

I agree the two are not mutually exclusive. In my reading of what you stated previously, you tilt towards one end of the spectrum and I to the other. But they are on the same horizon. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Size does not equate to ability. Strength is a better measure from throwing a seven to rushing the stands at 260 bpm. Few anorexic kids carry bass 5, march a contra or euph, or move the props. 

Kinda tangenting off of this, I'd like to see more instructors and designers with real professional training, knowledge, and experience in the fitness and athletic training world, and smarter understanding of how to write stuff that is achievable for members and won't result in injuries 

• Like 2

Just now, FTNK said:

Kinda tangenting off of this, I'd like to see more instructors and designers with real professional training, knowledge, and experience in the fitness and athletic training world, and smarter understanding of how to write stuff that is achievable for members and won't result in injuries 

Now there is a possible research study for someone given all the major staff changes in the present season compared to last year and beyond.

For a specific corps, have their number of mm injuries increased, stayed relatively the same, or decreased because a different designer creates the show in a different way presenting different challenges for the mms? Are the injuries different with different designers?

17 hours ago, xandandl said:

Interesting observation.

But a cool drill move is supposed to align with the music of the moment in any show, no? Even drum breaks now have to be more musical.  Any artistic statement made apart from the musical component of the show is not serving the show as a whole. Cesario's  statement today to the faculties about designing shows to which the audience and corps can relate without the designer and instructor prioritizing to make a name for oneself would seem to give the cohesion and accessibility priority over artistic statements. 

Like BAC's protest drill "G7" of a few years back.

• Like 2

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

Like BAC's protest drill "G7" of a few years back.

Did you write your Will yet??  

A certain unit has its nooses at the ready and has been known to light a few fires to remove dissidents.

• Like 1

Lets place entertainment to the audience first and foremost! 

Put together shows that will make the fans "throw babies!"

Rock the stadium and make'em go home humming your show!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I would let them know there are many great shows with amazingly talented kids, but, my peeve is with uniforms and let's call them what they are, not costumes which is usually used in a derogatory way, but uniforms. ...

I do suspect that in the future, this period in uniforms will be seen as a mistake. "What were we thinking?" the DCI designers will ask when they look back. It's like 80s shoulder pads in women's blouses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I get it.

But talented horse-person-ship doesn't entitle all to be jockeys.

The message to be fit and trim is not a negative one, no matter the desire for political correctness.

For some reason these arguments always make me think of this:

Potter:  So now it's body building.

Radar:  At least muscles are something you can really show off.

Potter:  Yeah, but you wind up being a slave to your body. Then you get tired of lifting weights and all those muscles turn into flab overnight. Chuck it, Radar.

Radar:  Think I will, sir.

Potter:  Good boy. Now, if you really want to do some lifting, go to the mess tent and lift some of those oatmeal cookies. You know, the ones with the stale raisins.