Mustang Meetup in Oklahoma Heartland, 7/25

7 hours ago, trenta536 said:

Wow... Crown 0.6 over SCV in brass

The bigger "WOW" is Vanguard winning total Music. The gap naturally narrows with a show of this size with two heavyweights. This is going to get interesting!

Edited by whitedj2002

5 hours ago, tommynev said:

Thanks for clarifying his post to me.

Having been born and raised in northeast Indiana, the clarification is spot-on. :1_grinning:

Real MVP of this season appears to be the now former Crown guard staff. That unit is getting crushed on the sheets. And from my untrained eye, I can't understand why, or at least can't understand why the guard not being featured a ton just takes them down so many rungs.

Let me say starting out that I love Crown and I enjoy the show.   Would love to see them win.  I think some of the problem with the guard might have to do with staging. If Jeff S.  has a weakness in his writing, I think it probably is staging the guard.   When I saw them early in the season, for example, the guard at times seemed to get lost in the staging of the corps proper. In addition, the color of the uniforms was not distinctive enough to really set them off from the corps. That, added to the execution problems that have been noted, seems to me to explain their numbers being lower than the other top corps.  As we see, there are a lot of really good guards this year.

Wow, There are a surprisingly high amount of offensive comments and just general assumption in some of the posts in this thread, which is surprising since there was none of this in the Broken Arrow thread last week, considering both shows took place in the same state. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, moving onto the show. 

Cascades: I like the new uniforms, they made some changes to the opener I am assuming. The back half of that show is really good. I do love the Shostakovich Tenth that is being played. And I will never say no to 1000 Airplanes on the Roof. 

Academy: This show is the definition of taking a fun idea and running with it. It's a great show and good god can they play. I liked it quite a bit. I love the carmen mixed in with Hungarian Rhapsody. It all works really well. Also, the Red on the uniforms pops well. 

Santa Clara Vanguard: This show is Insane. There is so much going on. There are cool little drill moves within other forms that you miss when you sit low. The soloists are playing SO MANY NOTES, and the percussion is the best this season, I am confident in saying. Vanguard is on a tear this year, I am still convinced they can catch BD come finals. This show is a championship show from first step to last. 

Cadets: The new ending is really good. This show just makes me feel eh. I dunno if it looses steam after the opening few minutes or what, but I just kinda get disinterested, which is a shame because I know that this show is difficult as hell, and I don't feel like the crowd feeds off of it well, But there are moments of just beautiful writing the opening statement is one of those, as is the end. I feel like the jazzy sequence is a mixed bag sometimes. Overall, I like the changes I just don't know if its enough this year. 

Carolina Crown: Crown, Oh Crown. I have a very interesting relationship to this show. First off, the opening Little Fugue in G Minor is virtually liquid music. (Hey, did you all know that crown brass line is Insane.) I also like the Crown Imperial portion and how its mixed with I think Giannini Third symphony. (Let me know if I am wrong, I don't know that piece super well). I changed on the ballad as well, and I don't mind the singer, the ballad is beautifully arranged, and the big moment in the ballad is so good, and the reverb it gets in a outside stadium is worth that moment. After that... the show doesn't work for me. I guess its the narration part of it, I dunno. The show has grown on me quite a bit, I just... I dunno.. 

By the way, I don't mind the "bandos" coming to these shows, if it means the activity grows and gets bigger. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I am non religious but I did find some of the comments early regarding born again and Bible Belt somewhat offensive. 

I'm not non-religious, but having lived in Oklahoma for 34 of my 38 years, I feel quite comfortable poking fun at my people and any of their stereotypes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I'm not non-religious, but having lived in Oklahoma for 34 of my 38 years, I feel quite comfortable poking fun at my people and any of their stereotypes.

ok and DC people are mostly JERKS

there - we both feel better!

• Like 1