What The Heck? No Hats or Shakos?

9 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

What the heck is up with corps in which members are wearing no hats or shakos? The hat/shako was the crowing point of a uniform and truly identified a corps. Especially The Vanguard. 

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'm not liking this trend in DCI at all. 

1.In most uniforms.costumes the hat especially with plume made the mm look taller, the whole ensemble more formidable.

2.  last season's Bluecoats neither wore blue coats nor did they wear any head covering. This was reasonable due to their climbing up and down the red slides and concentrating on holding their instruments and bodies in sync.

3.  since Bloo won last year, the corps this year are lemmings following the same pattern. Then there are the exception like Phantom Regiment whose mms (except phront ensemble) use two different helmets during the course of the same show.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

My kids always had a helmet, shako, fake-o.     If they were hatless on the field in competition, I may have avoided taking pictures of the wrong kid a couple (er, few) times!  LOL

I actually asked if that was him on pictures a few times.  And he played snare.  You'd think I could get that right! 

24 minutes ago, 81Freelancers said:

What the heck is up with corps in which members are wearing no hats or shakos? The hat/shako was the crowing point of a uniform and truly identified a corps. Especially The Vanguard. 

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'm not liking this trend in DCI at all. 

I believe there is something on the GE sheets that mentions connecting with the audience. Keeping heads/faces unobstructed allows the audience to see the performers' facial expressions and sometimes their personalities. Remember all of the winking soloists last year?  It comes off better without a shako. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Don't worry, once the Blue Devils win everyone will ditch the spandex. 

Sort of. (They wear spandex tops from the ballad to the end)

8 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I believe there is something on the GE sheets that mentions connecting with the audience. Keeping heads/faces unobstructed allows the audience to see the performers' facial expressions and sometimes their personalities. Remember all of the winking soloists last year?  It comes off better without a shako. 

That's one way of looking at it.   

On the other hand, as a Bluecoats fan, there was something pretty bad$$@ about the look of those dark helmets and the unis from 07-12.   13-15 were pretty cool too.   But, the tough looking, here we are look, connected pretty darn well with me and many others.

Facial expressions of the kids on the field isn't nearly as awesome as aura of bad$$@ery!

• Like 7