What The Heck? No Hats or Shakos?

I agree with the need for headwear of some sort.  For me, it isn't even about tradition.  From a visual design standpoint, a corps being judged from up high looks more precise with uniform head gear.  The "emoting" for the audience/judges doesn't hold any merit in Lucas Oil Stadium.  MOST WGI shows are held in high school gyms...THERE IS a difference.

For the record, BAC is wearing actual shakos (Shakomasters) and they were purchased and designed with the intent of using them for several seasons.

Also, I have become convinced that if the Cadets were wearing their maroon & cream cadet unis with their shakos they would be scoring higher.  Just my two cents.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

To be fair, we are also seeing a lot more variety in headgear this year too. Look at Academy, Madison, and Bluecoats. It's not just shakos and Aussies anymore.

Also, corps have performed without hats in certain parts of their show before. Phantom 1993 and 2008 come to mind, as well as BD 2012. There are several other examples from past years.

And I think the no-headgear thing looks way better on a corps with lighter colors than a corps with darker colors. Just compare BK's 2017 uniform with the Cadets 2017 robes when you look at them from a higher angle.

In terms of my opinion, if you want to go without headgear because the show is way too crazy and risky to pull off with it (e.g. Bluecoats 2016), I'm OK with that. But if it's for "audience connection" purposes, please don't. Just do what you've been doing for years and take off your hats when you want to give the audience that special connection. Or better yet, just show it through musical and visual performance as we've been doing since the activity's beginning.

everybody always forgets Spirit.

• Like 1

Bluecoats uniform in the few years before 2015 are my all time favorite, but I understood why they made the change last year. I had hoped it would a 1 time thing.  Unfortunately it caught on with other corps this season whether it was program related or not.  It's a trend that I hope dies quickly.