The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

4 minutes ago, oldsnare said:

Were those keyboard players splitting those runs?

It looked like it.  I have a pretty good view of the pit. 

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

All the Academy needs now is a bullseye at the end of the show with Porky Pig coming out of it saying "That's all, folks!"

I agree - but they also need to get Elmer Fudd on the field with his big wabbit gun.  Academy is technically better than last year, but for me the show does not go far enough to really sell the theme.  I really enjoy the show, but it does not have as much impact for me as 'Drum Corpse Bride' even though the performance levels are higher in most captions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It's not that it's lacking a shape... it's that it's a Looney Tunes cartoon story show, and it's just not FUNNY enough. 

It has both of those issues. It's not witty or rude (in the root sense), both of which Loony Toons were, and there's no sense of dramatic structure to it, which the LT had in spades. It's a greatest hit medley played by someone other than the original artist.

The costume design is right on the money, and the kids are talented, but the whole megillah? Meh.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Interesting that as much flexibility in instrumentation that SoundSport provides, all the groups at SA and today are drum corps.

• Like 1

Academy has come a long way since my last viewing. GE  VE and Brass... big improvement 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I enjoy The Academy.  It's fun. 

I only saw the last 4 minutes of their show and I liked what I saw and heard! Hope they continue to improve the next few years!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

It has both of those issues. It's not witty or rude (in the root sense), both of which Loony Toons were, and there's no sense of dramatic structure to it, which the LT had in spades. It's a greatest hit medley played by someone other than the original artist.

The costume design is right on the money, and the kids are talented, but the whole megillah, meh.

The structure is there... duck season turns to rabbit season, rabbits are hunted and captured, rabbits turn table and torment hunters, rabbit season turns to duck season, truce has been made (for now). The FloMarching crew haven't done a good job of capturing those moments up close, but I can at least see those bits. But if Flo can't figure out where to look, the average audience member probably can't either.