DCI Scoring methodology

Do all programs actually get slightly more difficult with every performance? I get the achievement score, but I don't get how a program that essentially remains unchanged for the majority of the season can somehow get more difficult, magically leading up to 100 total points, every week...and never actually regresses in difficulty when a corps simplifies their show.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Do all programs actually get slightly more difficult with every performance? I get the achievement score, but I don't get how a program that essentially remains unchanged for the majority of the season can somehow get more difficult, magically leading up to 100 total points, every week...and never actually regresses in difficulty when a corps simplifies their show.

A valid thought MR.   I imagine the staff's add more "stuff" after they feel the mm are comfortable with the initial drill/non marching movements.  But, how does one or two more body wiggles or quad lunges add several points to content is above my knowledge level.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

The vast majority of the shows are hardly changing at all the entire season. And yet their difficulty scores will end up being 50% higher than when they started. That is a really bizarre scoring methodology if you ask me!

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 5

The only explaination I've heard is 1. Judges begin to learn the shows and pick up on things they hadn't noticed before and 2. As the show cleans up, it becomes more readable and clearer for the judges to see and hear. 

Things are also pointed by out staff to them in critique thus educating judges on what to look for in areas they may not have noticed before.

Edited by JKT90

12 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

2. As the show cleans up, it becomes more readable and clearer for the judges to see and hear. 

Possibly, but if the content (difficulaty?) doesn't change, then why do the content numbers go up?  As a corps marches and plays better, the achievement scores should improve.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

I would 't think a show gets more difficult as the season progresses, but as shows get cleaner the difficulty becomes more evident, at least that's how it appears to me. I see shows early in the season, an advantage of living in the Boston area, and if possible I go to Allentown, or Indy, or preferably both. Often when I see the corps I saw earlier in the season in August, I appreciate the difficulty because the flaws most likely have been corrected. It is also the case that some corps begin the season with their basic show, get it clean, and tweak and have additions. These shows could also be said to get more difficult as the season progresses.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Possibly, but if the content (difficulaty?) doesn't change, then why do the content numbers go up.  As a corps marches and plays better, the achievement scores should improve.

How insane would the Olympics be if a gymnastics routine, which has been the same, gets a new difficulty rating each round? ... it's nonsense for DCI to prentend that difficulty goes up 25 points in 7 weeks.

• Like 5

It really is absurd. And yet we pretend that these tenths of points of higher achievemen matter when all they did was raise the difficulty score.

41 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Very good and astute question.

Layering and hosing go on simultaneously within the same lines, the faculties building on their strengths and stronger players while diminishing their exposures and simplifying for the less gifted perfomers. Also, judges do not have 100 per cent perfect grasp of everything in a show the first time it is viewed and assessed. Think of the Vanguard, Cavaliers, Cadets, and Bloo as examples of corps with multiples stages of focus needing simultaneous assessment. Judges notice more as the season progresses and they become more comfortable with what is put before them, even with changes.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1