SCV and BD in top 2...really?!!

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

A comparison is not tearing the blue devils show down, it's showing a difference in shows. You can prove me wrong by showing me how much faster the Devils show is... Of course, you won't be able to.

My point still stands.

You keep equating fast with difficulty, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Also, people have provided counter examples, but it's hard to prove anything "wrong" when the argument itself is flawed -- you've managed to keep moving goal posts, based some of your reasoning on personal experience or dismissed other's opinions based solely on who they came from. All I see are a bunch of fallacies.

There's nothing to prove wrong. It's just a matter of different opinions.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

You keep equating fast with difficulty, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Also, people have provided counter examples, but it's hard to prove anything "wrong" when the argument itself is flawed -- you've managed to keep moving goal posts, based some of your reasoning on personal experience or dismissed other's opinions based solely on who they came from. All I see are a bunch of fallacies.

There's nothing to prove wrong. It's just a matter of different opinions.

I (among others) have kept trying to explain that the caption is visual, not marching. He just doesn't get it. The Blue Devils have some great drill moves. They also have a ton of other movement. They are getting rewarded for performing all of it at an extremely high level.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

I (among others) have kept trying to explain that the caption is visual, not marching. He just doesn't get it. The Blue Devils have some great drill moves. They also have a ton of other movement. They are getting rewarded for performing all of it at an extremely high level.

I have photographed SEC athletics for over a decade. Football, baseball, basketball. There is a common saying among those who follow Sec basketball: you must outscore Kentucky by eight points in Rupp Arena to win by one. I have shot there many times, including some amazing upsets, and I can guarantee you this is the case. It is truly laughable at times how many "breaks" they get in close games. It is one of the weird grand traditions of the Sec.

The two time national coach of the year Eddie Foger was once asked if he thought officials were biased. His answer was perfect: every official knows which team is supposed to win.

If I wanted to introduce someone to drum corps, I would probably have them watch Blue Devils. That said, it has long been pretty obvious to me that BD is the Kentucky of DCI. There has to be one, in every activity, and dci has BD. Make no mistake, like Kentucky, they have earned that position, but not everything they do is perfect and atom-splittingly difficult.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

My problem isn't who knows the system better. It's a SUBJECTIVE system, and that's a major problem.

Why the hell are you complaining about a system that will be subjective no matter what? That's like complaining about the scores at a Cheer meet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why the hell are you complaining about a system that will be subjective no matter what? That's like complaining about the scores at a Cheer meet

The subjectivity is what makes it a judgable activity! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The subjectivity is what makes it a judgable activity! 

What he simply doesn't get is that it really doesn't matter what the judging system is...Devils will find a way to max it out. How many times have the sheets changed since 1976?

Set whatever standard you want. Heck, make it based on thrown babies for all I care. Devils win make sure those babies are thrown farther, more often, and with more style than anyone out there. And Tree will *still* find a way to complain.

Edited by Kamarag

1 minute ago, Kamarag said:

What he simply doesn't get is that it really doesn't matter what the judging system is...Devils will find a way to max it out. How many times has the system changed since 1976?

Set whatever standard you want. Heck, make it based on thrown babies for all I care. Devils win make sure those babies are thrown farther, more often, and with more style than anyone out there. And Tree will *still* find a way to complain.

One total point in percussion, spread between 1978 and 1981, is all that kept BD from winning 7 straight titles between 1976 and 1982.  They know what works on the sheets and they fill up those boxes.  Somebody, in every competitive endeavour, has to be the standard, the leader, the favorite.  Devils are it.

1 minute ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

One total point in percussion, spread between 1978 and 1981, is all that kept BD from winning 7 straight titles between 1976 and 1982.  They know what works on the sheets and they fill up those boxes.  Somebody, in every competitive endeavour, has to be the standard, the leader, the favorite.  Devils are it.

No one will argue this. In fact, that is sort of the common argument against them.

As I was looking at old recaps I realized that BD or SCV took either 1st OR 2nd (or both) from '73-'89, '94, '96-'99, '01-'04, and '07-'16. If SCV keeps going the direction they're now going and BD keeps doing what they're doing...wow. 

• Like 1