Salem, VA - July 31, 2017

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

No need to cry.  He only said "put a sock in it".

Nah. Just giving them a taste of their own medicine. :)

After last night's show, one moment of a particular show is resonating with me.  It played in my head as I drove the 2 hours home from the venue and even today at work...

First, I have never been a huge fan of vocalists so lets get that out of the way.  Before last night I would be the one to say the less vocals, the better.  I also realize that no matter what, some people will not like them and this post won't make a difference. That's completely fine...I'm just sharing my personal experience here...

Boston Crusaders' vocalist is really changing my mind about vocals in drum corps.  Not only is she a phenomenal singer, but her mix with the brass is completely seamless.  It feels so cohesive and is integrated so effectively.  I've never been overly impressed by vocals in the marching arts, but Lord I had chills.  The woman next to me was a first timer to DCI...cried.  All she could say when Boston finished was how beautiful and well executed "the singing part" of the show was.  

I've watched YouTube videos of it now that I've seen it live, not even remotely close.  Boston is definitely onto something, and they've changed my mind about singing.  Do I think every show should have a vocalist?  Absolutely not.  However if you are going to have them, Boston '17 needs to be the standard from now on.   

Not to mention the show itself was excellent in all captions.  It's probably going to end up being my favorite from 2017!

P.S. Salem Stadium is an excellent venue for drum corps.  Great acoustics and plenty of space between seats.  

Edited by Mac13
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Nah. Just giving them a taste of their own medicine. :)

you sir are a jerk

2 hours ago, Mac13 said:

After last night's show, one moment of a particular show is resonating with me.  It played in my head as I drove the 2 hours home from the venue and even today at work...

First, I have never been a huge fan of vocalists so lets get that out of the way.  Before last night I would be the one to say the less vocals, the better.  I also realize that no matter what, some people will not like them and this post won't make a difference. That's completely fine...I'm just sharing my personal experience here...

Boston Crusaders' vocalist is really changing my mind about vocals in drum corps.  Not only is she a phenomenal singer, but her mix with the brass is completely seamless.  It feels so cohesive and is integrated so effectively.  I've never been overly impressed by vocals in the marching arts, but Lord I had chills.  The woman next to me was a first timer to DCI...cried.  All she could say when Boston finished was how beautiful and well executed "the singing part" of the show was.  

I've watched YouTube videos of it now that I've seen it live, not even remotely close.  Boston is definitely onto something, and they've changed my mind about singing.  Do I think every show should have a vocalist?  Absolutely not.  However if you are going to have them, Boston '17 needs to be the standard from now on.   

Not to mention the show itself was excellent in all captions.  It's probably going to end up being my favorite from 2017!

P.S. Salem Stadium is an excellent venue for drum corps.  Great acoustics and plenty of space between seats.  

This will be interesting for me as well...I am also not a fan of vocals...I'll have to see how I feel after tomorrows LIVE show in Clifton...I don't think I've ever cried at a drum corps show...that would be some amazing feat to pull that emotion off...

2 hours ago, Mac13 said:

8 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This will be interesting for me as well...I am also not a fan of vocals...I'll have to see how I feel after tomorrows LIVE show in Clifton...I don't think I've ever cried at a drum corps show...that would be some amazing feat to pull that emotion off...

Provided it is done live by the youth member performers I am fine with morphing technology; the problem I have always had from the get go, I have said this before, and I will continue to say it, is that I am appalled that an adult professional sound engineer has the ability to manipulate the live sound which is adjudicated and supposed to be produced just by the youth.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Provided it is done live by the youth member performers I am fine with morphing technology; the problem I have always had from the get go, I have said this before, and I will continue to say it, is that I am appalled that an adult professional sound engineer has the ability to manipulate the live sound which is adjudicated and supposed to be produced just by the youth.

I think this is a very fair assessment and I agree with you on this point...the question is how far is too far...of course I'm feeling the same way about brass lines being messed with and producing artificial sounds just as much as singers...but that's a whole different matter..lot's to discuss..I hope they look into these things this winter...

Edited by Liahona

37 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I think this is a very fair assessment and I agree with you on this point...the question is how far is too far...of course I'm feeling the same way about brass lines being messed with and producing artificial sounds just as much as singers...but that's a whole different matter..lot's to discuss..I hope they look into these things this winter...

Too far?  Hmmmm.  Well, to me, no matter what they add or subtract in technology and show design as long as they have the elements of Drums (acoustic percussion instruments), Bugles (acoustic brass instruments), and are a Corps (a body of people associated and acting together with a common purpose) then they will be a 'Drum and Bugle Corps'.  But if they claim it is a youth performance activity where the youth are supposed to be the only ones affecting the scoring outcome, and an adult has control over a live element that affects that outcome, that is too going far for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

The "rice rocket" crowd can get a little obnoxious at times if someone in a "cage" is not going fast enough for their liking.  It's been said to stay off the dragon on weekends at all costs.  That's when the photographers are camped out on certain pull off locations to take pictures to sell or wait for the Nascar big one.  For some MC riders, they look at completing the dragon as earning a merit badge.

http://www.travelchannel.com/videos/braving-the-tail-of-the-dragon-0175537

We usually head up there on weekdays (one of the joys of retirement, I guess), so we haven't run into any problems with obnoxious bikers.

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

you sir are a jerk

Awe, can't take the heat? Are you a witch? Should Boston burn you instead? I joke I joke. It's all in good fun right? 

Edited by UKSuperman