William "Allen's Town" - Friday Night - Aug 4th, 2017

I was at the show last night, also in Chester Thursday and back at it again tonight. Some thoughts regarding some quotes from tonight, full review next week...

20 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Well, that probably has to do with the need to adjust their step size from metric to standard.

That's worth a :lol:. Didn't even think about that last night!

19 hours ago, lastknight said:

SOA seems awfully good to be so far down the rankings

Their music should put them higher, but I'm so lost visually. I can see why Spirit is so far down this year, though I certainly don't like it.

19 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Nice run for SOA despite some speaker issues. Also nice work by the set player soloing nicely with Prosperie right over his shoulder.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Watching Prosperie at that time, and seeing his *head nod* "All right!" afterwards was a highlight of the evening for me. Play that tape for that kid!

19 hours ago, BlueStarsDad said:

If you write a show to go over (like I've seen at BOA), that should be penalized.  But if its something stupid like power, I would rather they fix it than do the show with no electronics. Was it this Crossmen who had to do a show without electronics in the last year or two?

Yeah, it became clear after a minute or two that the issue was on the stadium's end, and not the corps. Once it was plugged in to another outlet (alllllllll the way down by the entrance end zone!), things started working again. No idea what could have caused that, but PC was not to blame, so no penalty for them!

17 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

They did. 

(This is regarding adding the earlier characters to the ending of Blue Stars' show)

They did, but I feel they get a little lost in the guard/corps proper drill to the end. Gotta give them a bigger stage. I'm glad they did SOMETHING though, I've been complaining about that all year! :tongue:

17 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If Crown beats Bluecoats solely because of "cleanliness" then DCI needs to really revising the entire idea of GE.

The cleanliness gap between Crown and Coats has been rather notable throughout this year. It's going to be much closer for Allentown, because Bloo threw down one HELL of a show last night. Buzzing from beginning to end!

17 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Trumpet solo mic 2 not turned up?

From where I was in the stands (seat hopped to the side 2 45, about 25 rows up, was hanging with close friends/Xmen corps alumni), soloist #2 was a tad too quiet, but soloist #1 was WAY too loud. The difference was made greater that way and kinda took away from the moment.

17 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Back to high cam for the BD opener.

Or I could just trust that Flo will cover it properly.

Nah.

I was never really "mad" at FloMarching about their coverage until I saw BD live last night. I don't know how you can miss so much stuff and get so much WRONG in one show! It has to be seen live. You can't trust Flo's coverage on that show.

17 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

I find it kind of amusing that there's not one but TWO of Tom Aungst's former high school students (who constantly get crap for the snareline playing matched grip) playing traditional on the BLUE DEVILS snareline for that intro.  

Fun story: A lady came in just before Bluecoats and sat next to us. When BD was setting up she mentioned her kid was in the snareline and went to school in Massachusetts, at Dartmouth. I thought nothing of it until I talked to my friend afterwards, where I found out that I was talking about Tom's kid with his ex-wife. 

18 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Watching live, counted at least 4 different falls. EXCELLENT recoveries though.

Those are designed in. I thought the same thing when I first saw the show on the San Antonio stream, and posted such on Twitter. I was completely fooled, but those falls at the end as they dissolve the form into the tarp ARE in fact designed in. Pretty cool stuff!

16 hours ago, war eagle said:

All the voice over and singing can go to hell.  I'm all for new design in drum corps but as yet the human voice stinks.  Now that Cesario is gone, maybe someone will have the balls to outlaw it.

No.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

From where I was in the stands (seat hopped to the side 2 45, about 25 rows up, was hanging with close friends/Xmen corps alumni), soloist #2 was a tad too quiet, but soloist #1 was WAY too loud. The difference was made greater that way and kinda took away from the moment.

This pretty much exactly how it came across the video on Flo. Soloist 1 was louder than any corps to perform that night, and soloist two sounded like the mic was 10 yards away from them.

I don't think there is anything Bluecoats will or could do at this point that will change the judges' minds about the "cleanliness" of their show.

45 minutes ago, emc2 said:

Top drum corps back then BAC. no one else.  Love st  Kevin's. like all of the rest they went to drum corps heaven .  Support BAC they are the only one left.

My most intense years of weekends (2, sometimes 3 contests) were the 1965 and 1966 years in New Jersey.  Boston appeared in 16 contests in each year, but only one each in New Jersey.  My father and I saw them at VFW Nationals in Jersey City, the best top to bottom contest I've EVER seen.  Loved them.....but I wish they came to New Jersey more often.

47 minutes ago, JoeDz said:

My most intense years of weekends (2, sometimes 3 contests) were the 1965 and 1966 years in New Jersey.  Boston appeared in 16 contests in each year, but only one each in New Jersey.  My father and I saw them at VFW Nationals in Jersey City, the best top to bottom contest I've EVER seen.  Loved them.....but I wish they came to New Jersey more often.

Yes i was in a lower drum corps at the time.  We hosted C vanguard when they won WO back than.  Great drum corp world back then.  My church had 500 kids involved in drill team and drum corp.

23 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Same can be said for the Blue Devils as they musically sound the same every year as well.

you are so wrong!

1 hour ago, war eagle said:

you are so wrong!

I think he later said he meant he could pick BD out of a blind sample because their sound is so recognizable. 

5 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I think he later said he meant he could pick BD out of a blind sample because their sound is so recognizable. 

You can also identify Boston as 2000-2016 Cadets... In terms of sound similarity.

Edited by Sandonovan

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

I read his post and i read his later post explaining it.  I don't think he bashed another corps, and I think you are smart enough to understand that if you want to be fair.

My post was made before his clarification. Everything is fine now, and your post was quite unnecessary 

I'm betting that SCV will win, they're trending a lot like the cadets did back in 2011, least from what I remember, they scored around 4th most of the season, right up until the last two weeks, before topping out on the 7th, and holding onto it until they won