William "Allen's Town" - Friday Night - Aug 4th, 2017

Just now, skevinp said:

Likes the post bashing crown...then has a problem with a post assumed to be bashing blue devils.

I have a problem with the hypocrisy of telling people not to bash a corps and doing so in the next sentence over. Good try though

Allentown is what we called DCI East in 1978.  There were prelims on Friday and Finals on Saturday.  I also remember that we  marched in a parade through town and also performed a standstill.   It was the highlight of the "1st tour" for most of the  corps.  Madison won prelims, BD won Finals, and that was in 1978.  Talk about longevity and a consistenty.

58 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

BD sounds the same every year?  Because that dissonant show in 13 sounded exactly like the happy show in 15.  

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that the Blue Devils have a very distinct sound. Whether or not their music is happy and light, or dissident and dark, I can always tell that it is the Blue Devils. 

13 hours ago, gentle123 said:

Not only did Mandies brass take 8th, but Prosperie put their percussion in 8th as well. Interesting perspective...

I admit I am not expert and I'm very biased - but I don't get this. Of course, I'm listening on FloMarch so I don't have the best vantage point. Will have to see for myself in Indy. 

Edited by DCIdad

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I have a problem with the hypocrisy of telling people not to bash a corps and doing so in the next sentence over. Good try though

I read his post and i read his later post explaining it.  I don't think he bashed another corps, and I think you are smart enough to understand that if you want to be fair.

5 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that the Blue Devils have a very distinct sound. Whether or not their music is happy and light, or dissident and dark, I can always tell that it is the Blue Devils. 

Initially i thought you was bashing as well when you said BD sounds the same. But now i get what you are saying. BD does have a very distinct sound and if i was blindfolded i think i could tell if it was BD or another corps. 

• Like 2

Normally I get seats up top for Allentown, but ever since the stadium design pushing the field ~15 yards or so further away from the audience I find the volume just isn't there when sitting high (except for power chords), so this time I got seats lower.. smack on the 50, row 24.. and the difference? Still can't hear the horns, but this time due to the old "thunderous goo" and amped pit. I'm a horn guy.. I know what they're playing, and have listened to lot and rehearsal vids, played along with transcriptions.. and I could barely hear the stuff I know is there. One of the of the final 3 corps, can't remember which at the moment, when they turned front and started playing i could barely tell there was a hornline.. but my seat was rumbling from the bass on the synth I can tell you that. You can heard power chords, or when the put and syth aren't playing (rarely), but that was it. Maybe my ears are old, but my 17 year old daughter felt the same.

It's tiring hearing the "but its designed for Lucas oil with the super high, far away box".. this isn't Lucas Oil.. how about designing for the 20+ shows for the fans all year as well? You'd think in 10+ years they'd figure out how to balance the volumes.