Electronic Amplification

Just an observation from NightBeat - but it was obvious to me that certain corps were using electronics to amplify their sound above and beyond what its been used for the past few years. In a couple of cases, there were at least two corps that used it to over-amplify the volume of the brass when the hornline was facing the front sidelines (not referring to the Bluecoats moment when they face backstage). In contrast, there were several corps that used almost no amplification and sounded weaker than the rest of the field. At what point do we need to begin limiting the amount of amplification and how its used. I believe it does give the units that choose to use it a competitive advantage, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of the activity. Are there certain instances where its cool, sure. But I'm all for leveling the playing field and want to make sure we're not inadvertently giving certain corps an advantage because they have the means to do this. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Just an observation from NightBeat - but it was obvious to me that certain corps were using electronics to amplify their sound above and beyond what its been used for the past few years. In a couple of cases, there were at least two corps that used it to over-amplify the volume of the brass when the hornline was facing the front sidelines (not referring to the Bluecoats moment when they face backstage). In contrast, there were several corps that used almost no amplification and sounded weaker than the rest of the field. At what point do we need to begin limiting the amount of amplification and how its used. I believe it does give the units that choose to use it a competitive advantage, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of the activity. Are there certain instances where its cool, sure. But I'm all for leveling the playing field and want to make sure we're not inadvertently giving certain corps an advantage because they have the means to do this. 

Thoughts?

How does it make it an advantage? In fact it might be used against them. Thoughts?

I too was at NightBEAT and there were two corps in particular in which I was disappointed in how the amplification was used.  Both Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers had shotgun mics set up every 10 years and pointed at towards the field.  Both corps had moments when their brass line was mostly to the right side of the field and when they played....brass could clearly be heard coming out of the left speaker....far away from any brass player.  Upon realizing that the brass was being amplified....it took me completely out of the performance and in a way....pi$$ed me off a bit.  I seriously hope that this amplification is not helping their score in any way.  It is more egregious than those corps that heavily supplement the corps sound with synthesizer (i.e. Crossmen, BD, etc...).  I have more respect for corps like Blue Stars that forego brass amplification....even at the expense that they seem to have less impact.  It just sounds more natural and pure that way....which is better than the harsh, amplified sound of these other corps.  Sorry for the rant....but I saw the thread and took the opportunity. 

Edited by KCWolfPck
  • Like 5

Blue Knights get huge kudos from me for the way they use electronics this year. They should be the model.

As I have said before, in Nashvlle, amplification almost ruined some of the best shows. Namely, Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Cadets. Three of the biggest, baddest horn lines in the activity. Even SCV bordered on overamplification. 

Yes, definitely, dci should better define what is and is not acceptable in amplification, and mark Down corps that violate those expectations. My suspicion is it is coming this offseason.

• Like 4

Every top-level corps uses ambient amplification to boost their sound levels nowadays. Personally, I'm not a fan; if you want to use electronics to generate some kind of interesting effect (such as the Blue Knights snare solo, or the 2015 Bluecoats soundscape) then that's great, but simply throwing up a few shotgun mics and passively making your brass sound louder is so against the spirit of the activity. It's the loudness war for drum corps, and as we all know the loudness war ruined every album that it touched.

• Like 5

Several years ago, I took a sound meter to Atl and Indy to see "which Corps was the loudest?"  I could probably dig up those readings somewhere on these Forums.

I wonder if it's time to do this again, but this time check to see if there have been significant overall increases in volume. 

• Like 2

Sadly, BK was the only corps in Nashville that moved sound around the field only by virtue of where their marchers were playing. I caught myself before telling my sons about Frameworks...

Edited by MikeRapp

Anyone have a count on how many threads have been about amplification/electronics this year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

Several years ago, I took a sound meter to Atl and Indy to see "which Corps was the loudest?"  I could probably dig up those readings somewhere on these Forums.

I wonder if it's time to do this again, but this time check to see if there have been significant overall increases in volume. 

I could be rendered deaf in Indy this year.    

• Like 1

I made the mistake of sitting in the 2nd row on the 40 for the Nashville show.... I had to watch the Blue Devils and Cadets with my hands over my ears because of the amplification of the brass line. Amps have ruined sitting down low and getting your ears pinned back by the hornline. Had it just been the pit and soloists amped, I would have been ok with that. But when you amp the hornline the whole show it ruins the show. BD and Cadets were certainly not the only ones to do it, they just had it turned up more than any other corps. 

• Like 3