Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

5 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

They literally just won with a show that was pretty formulaicly similar (I don't say that I'm a negative way).  

I am as big of a Bluecoats fan as anyone and I love the show this year, their approach to drum corps is easily my favorite and I hope however this season ends they don't abandon it.  They make me feel like no other corps does when they perform.   I know this is going to be a show I watch and listen to for a LONG time.   I love the idea that it's an updated approach to an era gone by.   

That said.  There is so so so much exposure visually from the uniforms/choreography as well as the listening environments that it's gonna have to be really really really #### clean for the effect to come off and get the achievement points up.  It's an incredibly risky show that's just not as clean as the three above them right now.  I'm not gonna pretend to understand GE scoring sometimes but their fate lies in them cleaning the absolute #### out of this thing the next week and a half.   I have faith and think they can definitley still pull off a medal.   

I also love the top two shows this year.  Blue Devils FINALLY clicked for me last weekend and outside the visual program definitley being very different from the others around them.......I don't see what the fuss is about.  I think how they're starting to put together the evolution from then to now paired with an INCREDIBLY fun and easy to listen to music program is a blast and emotional heavy hitter to watch.   SCV is a seamless, incredibly ethereal, beautiful, and fantastically performed work of art that is a return to the type of visual program people have been BEGGING for.  They're both maxing corps and shows.  Carolina Crowns isn't necessarily my cup of tea but #### they're good good good.  

So in short...I love Bluecoats.  It's not over yet.  They always finish strong.  And if they're 4th right now there are three amazing corps above them.   

They really laid themselves out there with the choreography.  I love them for that.  A new challenge. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Every show other than the top 2 are flawed. My opinion begins with skimpy short shorts and bras being about as non flattering as it gets. Time and a place, I just don't see the need... I find the sequins, suspenders, bowler hats (and their use) Quickly become a gimmick. Bloo's lunging and posing  are not nearly as effective as the body demands exhibited by BD. Not even close! I think the jagged stage  repeatedly interferes  with drill. The striped dancing stick remind me of the WB dancing frog.  Excuse (or not!) my pointed somewhere criticism is because I'm sick and tired seeing  BD, and more recently SCV bashed for they're vision.  Last year I loved Bloo's vision.  This year I find the jagged stage an eyesore. Do it up judges! "Midwest" I suggest your bias should be examined not the judges. Where, wear aside!

You are a funny man "white dj"

17 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The rampy things aren't shiny and new like they were last year.  The judges have moved on to the......Hey!  Squirrel!

This.  Absolutely this.

When I saw BD and SCV in Pasadena, I turned to my friend and said "Those are your winning programs".

I believe the OP's concerns are best explained by the performances of the two California and one Carolina corps.

• Like 3

'Coats electronics lose when the corps is turned to the backfield, the volume doesn't drop, and there's no natural reverb coming from the backstands.

...and when the beautiful trombone solo that was only pumped through the far, side-two speaker.

There is the point where much is too much.  (Edit: Sorry, IMO)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Midwest said:

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I have said the same thing. 5 yrs from now, no one will remember this years BD show in particular. Many will remember BC. 

I recently went to an open class competition. I really enjoyed it. Those corps still work hard for their scores instead of relying on their name. 

Have whatever opinion of the show you want; suggesting that a corps doesn't work as hard to prove themselves, or that they aren't earning it, is low-class and defeats your point. 

And forecasting how a show will go down in history also doesn't serve your point. People won't remember BD's 65th Anniversary show? Are you sure? They won't remember that ballad? Are you sure

I could ask how many people will remember Bloo's ballad compared to BD's, but then I'd sound like you.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Interestingly, I think BD and SCV are two of the most traditional-looking corps this year.

Maybe that's worth our (and 'Coats' attention).

Well I do find it interesting that BD is using prop (likeness) and music from previous years throughout the show... so I guess that counts for tradition.  If worked the first time... milk it some more :)

1 minute ago, garfield said:

'Coats electronics lose when the corps is turned to the backfield, the volume doesn't drop, and there's no natural reverb coming from the backstands.

...and when the beautiful trombone solo that was only pumped through the far, side-two speaker.

There is point where much is too much.

I actually agree with you on the ballad comments. Having said that, BD synth and overall use of speakers is extreme. It's the only corps whose electronics distort my speakers when watching on flo.