Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

7 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Have whatever opinion of the show you want; suggesting that a corps doesn't work as hard to prove themselves, or that they aren't earning it, is low-class and defeats your point. 

And forecasting how a show will go down in history also doesn't serve your point. People won't remember BD's 65th Anniversary show? Are you sure? They won't remember that ballad? Are you sure

I could ask how many people will remember Bloo's ballad compared to BD's, but then I'd sound like you.

I'm sure

It's not the placement snaxfreq, it's the score that I mostly have issue with.

In terms of placement, BD should be behind SCV, BC, CC, and Cavs this year. The sloppy bumblebee piece and the standstill drill is not impressive to me. They do have a nice ballad. I may use that to fall asleep to tonight. Sorry that hurts your feelings. 

Edited by Midwest

Maybe because they're extremely dirty and the middle of the program doesnt match the greatness of the book ends so in general it falls a little short? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I can "prove" they are "getting the shaft"

Cavaliers are a point away from them. That gap should be like 3 points or so IMO

Been a fan for many decades and those two corps are on completely different levels. 

The Cavilers are putting out SIGNIFICANTLY better guard numbers than the Coats. In fact, when I say significantly, they are very consistently half a point better. This is an easy way for the Cavies to make up ground.

Not only that, but the Cavies have an INSANE drill demand this season. These shows in their current state, are a point to a point and a half apart on any given night.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Every show other than the top 2 are flawed. My opinion begins with skimpy short shorts and bras being about as non flattering as it gets. Time and a place, I just don't see the need... I find the sequins, suspenders, bowler hats (and their use) Quickly become a gimmick. Bloo's lunging and posing  are not nearly as effective as the body demands exhibited by BD. Not even close! I think the jagged stage  repeatedly interferes  with drill. The striped dancing stick remind me of the WB dancing frog.  Excuse (or not!) my pointed somewhere criticism is because I'm sick and tired seeing  BD, and more recently SCV bashed for they're vision.  Last year I loved Bloo's vision.  This year I find the jagged stage an eyesore. Do it up judges! "Midwest" I suggest your bias should be examined not the judges. Where, wear aside!

I would say that your bias shows too, so you might want to exam it yourself.  Blue Devils have used bras and shorts to their advantage themselves and many other gimmicky things as you called it - did you get tired of them?  What is being displayed this year is the real dichotomy of two ends of the spectrum shows and it has turned into the Blue Devils vs the Bluecoats way.  I would tell you both are good for DCI, but there is a division in the fandom reaching ugly levels.   I will guarantee you that the kids in both BD and Bc are working their fannies off to present to you what has been given to them to do.  Blue Devils are marching a show reliant on their brass to be the GE and not so much the visual.  I would say they are getting their credits with a brass line that is great and is not having to worry much about about playing while running which is a staff that decided, let's put them in the place they can do best and the kids are responding.  Bluecoats are doing their best to present a visual idea married with the music with more movement while playing, but are not playing the difficulty or cleanliness that BD is.  I find the jagged line line that is right in the middle of the field to be constrictive in the visual ideas they present, although I think the ones they present are very good, but I find this years arrangements and show not to be the generator of GE that last years was, which was groundbreaking to say the least.  This show very, very good, but not the great GE generator they had last year.  I don't think they should be as far back (neither do I believe should Crown either) and this year should be, again in my estimation about 2.5 between the top 4.  I think it should be that close.  I think Vanguard has the best overall show, but it is show that never lets up on the gas pedal.  It doesn't let me relax, it just comes at you.  Crown marches more than anyone in DCI, very little park it and play, which is ok with me.  It's hard to look at things in a context of appreciation for everything everyone does, especially when you "fall in love" with a group or a section of the country.  You start believing your corps is getting the shaft, much like sports, it's part of the competitive nature we've built into things and we have a tendency to then put it back on the judges, like in sports with the refs or umps.  

• Like 4

Hate to sound like a homer but their visual GE low scores are complete garbage. How they pop throughout the show with that prop is genius. But I'm a little underwhelmed with the new ending. Hope more is added. But they're still in the ballpark. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midwest said:

I have participated and have been following drum corps for a very long time. I have adopted the changes over the years with open arms. I love most of those changes and have no wish to turning the clock back. I start with these points because I know some punk will accuse me of being old school or for not understanding modern drum corps. Rest assured I understand it quite well and I am very familiar with the judging sheets and scoring process. 

Having said that, it is a shame what the judges are doing to BC this year. I have watched closely all season and have seen the bias that is so obvious. It appears to me the judges have a grudge of some sort against them. Is it the guard outfits?  I read the corps changed to longer shorts due to complaints about a little butt cheek or two showing. Is it because the judges believe it is destiny for BD and SCV to be fighting it out during their anniversaries?  Maybe it is because they don't have enough pretty colors. I noticed BD has pink in their uniforms. That certainly must be worth an extra 3 or 4 points in visual. It apparently outweighs the extreme drill design BC is marching. 

Unfortunately, the scores are simply the opinion of a select few judges. They are human and have biases. This years "collective thought" appears to be against the Bluecoats. That truly is a shame given the energy and talent this corps has.  The message the judges are sending to all:  don't do anything risky, keep your drill simple and clean, focus on having a strong palette of color choices and color guard, both have more impact on your overall score then drill, brass, or percussion. Fast is old school. March slowly and precisely. When playing, be sure it is loud and try to stand still while doing so. If you are going to march at a fast tempo, be sure to do it while not playing. And finally, never ever make the young women in the guard where something feminine. Modern women are not supposed to be feminine or sexy. 

I am a big Bloo fan.  I love their show regardless of where they place. That being said, I think we have an even match - at least GE wise-Bloo, BD, SCV.  Visually, I do feel Crown,BD and SCV are cleaner right now.  Dare I say I kind of agree with the exact scores ?  Not GE wise.  

• Like 3