Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

22 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Blue Devils convinced DCI that there was value in drill that wasn't traditional marching forms. If you took this BD show back 20 years, judges would give them a big fat F in "cleanliness."

Bluecoats basically shoved their way to their first gold medal last year by essentially daring judges to downgrade their show. Had they not won the gold last year it would have been among the greatest travesties in the history of the activity. But you can be sure there were a whole lot of judges who would rather have seen someone else win it.

This is my opinion but certainly not only my opinion: Jagged Line is a better show than Carolina Crown. Many will disagree with me, but only by falling back on the old feet, shoes, and other minutiae that can be said about any show. Medaling shows should be GREAT shows. Sorry, but most of us know that this Crown show isn't a medalist quality show this year. Not with Jagged Line on its heels. And it shouldn't be on its heels. It sure as hell should be just one point ahead of Cavaliers.

This activity is changing, and I believe for the better. As it did 20 years ago, DCI has to change with the growing sentiment. 

Not sure how you can say Crown isn't medalist worthy. At least they're consistently winning a caption.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

Not sure how you can say Crown isn't medalist worthy. At least they're consistently winning a caption.

I have said it and will say it again: Their show lags in the second half. And the yardline props are hardly unique and aren't even effective. 

Brass power and cinsistency, Crown can rarely be beaten. Precision in drill, amazing no matter what the show concept. But this show concept just never worked. I would put it solidly behind at least six other corps, maybe more. I give them credit for taking risks two years in a row, but medaling shows have to do more than take risks, the show has to work. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wear bunny ears when The Academy is on....except when that crabby woman yelled at me in Rockford...

You'll never see her again..... Wear the ears

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I have said it and will say it again: Their show lags in the second half. And the yardline props are hardly unique and aren't even effective. 

Brass power and cinsistency, Crown can rarely be beaten. Precision in drill, amazing no matter what the show concept. But this show concept just never worked. I would put it solidly behind at least six other corps, maybe more. I give them credit for taking risks two years in a row, but medaling shows have to do more than take risks, the show has to work. 

Pretty sure the only thing medalist corps have to do is outscore at least 9 other corps. So far it seems to be working just fine, at least to the judges. I'll respect what you think of the show and just say I disagree.

• Like 2

Just now, Brass Lover said:

Pretty sure the only thing medalist corps have to do is outscore at least 9 other corps. So far it seems to be working just fine, at least to the judges. I'll respect what you think of the show and just say I disagree.

And I will point out that you disagree with a whole lot of people who aren't Crownies. I love cc, I really do. They deserve to be revered, but this show was not well conceived.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

And I will point out that you disagree with a whole lot of people who aren't Crownies. I love cc, I really do. They deserve to be revered, but this show was not well conceived.

That's fine, I'm not gonna change my opinion just because it's in the minority. I agree it's not the most amazing show but I don't think Bluecoats is either. Not sure how waving around a hat and playing a ballad through mics is super effective either. In my eyes they both have their strengths and flaws, but one group is much cleaner than another which in my opinion is why Coats are in 4th. I'll point out that the trained professionals also agree with me so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

That's fine, I'm not gonna change my opinion just because it's in the minority. I agree it's not the most amazing show but I don't think Bluecoats is either. Not sure how waving around a hat and playing a ballad through mics is super effective either. In my eyes they both have their strengths and flaws, but one group is much cleaner than another which in my opinion is why Coats are in 4th. I'll point out that the trained professionals also agree with me so far.

The trained professionals, ok. Well, that does it for me, because the trained professionals think they are better. 

The trained professionals judge a small portion of a show by a sheet. That doesn't make the show concept work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

The trained professionals, ok. Well, that does it for me, because the trained professionals think they are better. 

The trained professionals judge a small portion of a show by a sheet. That doesn't make the show concept work.

Explain to me then how Crown's show doesn't work. What does "working" mean to you?