Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I suspect 99% of replies here can't distinguish between the top corps at the detailed caption level.  In a vacuum, without knowing the placements ahead of time, there aren't many that could pick the exact order of finish.  (In general groupings, sure, but not 1-2-3-4.)

Unless gut feeling counts, I definitely fall into that 99% and I have no qualms about it.

Frankly I just want to be entertained. Obviously some shows that I love from the 9th-place-and-lower crowd I wish I could see performed a bit cleaner, but once a show breaks about 88.0 in terms of score they all just fall into that gut feeling place for me.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

As a final addendum, this thread is cancer, and I hope it is closed sooner rather than later.

As usual any sort of criticism of a show and you get everyone with hurt feelings. People will be suspended because they criticize a show done by a corps. Or someone will complain that you are hurting the members feelings. 

Might as well change it from a competition to an exhibition. Give everyone a retreat medal for finishing the show and the season.

But to the OP for this thread. I can't stand the show design, the zigzag ramp ruins the drill. I'm sure to receive an account suspension for posting that no doubt as someones feelings just got crushed. Or the best thing that has happen to me here is a hateful and threatening PM.  

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of Bluecoats uniforms this year, period. The marching members' uniforms are too bland, the color guard too suggestive. Judges could easily feel the same way, but would that impact the scores? The blandness of the uniforms may play a role, but I don't think if the color guard uniforms are too suggestive plays a role because Blue Devils have had pretty suggestive uniforms in the past. That being said, I do like much of what Bluecoats is offering this year. I'll  be seeing Bluecoats live in Allentown and I expect to enjoy them. If Ihad to level an objective criticism as to why they are not faring as well as I think many of us thought they would, I'm wondering if their show too similar to last year. Most years I enjoy Bluecoats. As much as I enjoyed "Kinetic Noise" in 2015, it was pretty close to "Tilt" at least in the way it felt. "Jagged Line" is very similar to "Downside Up." As a spectator, that's fine it's with me. Competitively, it may be a disadvantage. 

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I'm wondering if their show too similar to last year. Most years I enjoy Bluecoats. As much as I enjoyed "Kinetic Noise" in 2015, it was pretty close to "Tilt" at least in the way it felt. "Jagged Line" is very similar to "Downside Up." As a spectator, that's fine it's with me. Competitively, it may be a disadvantage. 

I must be watching different shows because I see people write this kind of comparison frequently and I just don't see it.  Jagged Line looks nothing like Down Side Up  and Kinetic Noise looked nothing like Tilt.  There may be some similarities in performance and design style, but that can be said about every Drum Corps.  They all have similarities from year to year because they continue to utilize the same staff year after year.  IMO!

• Like 2

Well one thing is without a doubt. BlueCoats have an outstanding Brass. Percussion as well. But the Brass for me is so much fun to listen to in the parking lot. Not as enjoyable on the field during performance. I have my reasons and most have to do with the audio doping. 

On a meta note, I was expecting this thread to be nothing but trash talking. I was surprised by the number of insightful posts.

I don't think Bloo is getting shafted. They have a good show, certainly a stronger defense of their title than Out Of This World, 12.25 or The Red Violin. I won't be surprised if they wind up with a medal in Indy. But you can still have a great show even if you finish in 4th place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

Bluecoats are a couple of wooden crates and leg lamps away from calling the "Fragile"

People need to relax.. It's a drum corps show. People have different perceptions and likes. It's not brain surgery. The activity is changing somewhat. We may all laugh 2 years from now and say remember when... enjoy what it is before it's gone. The next innovation is just around the corner.

Edited by jonwoody

20 minutes ago, Asguard said:

I must be watching different shows because I see people write this kind of comparison frequently and I just don't see it.  Jagged Line looks nothing like Down Side Up  and Kinetic Noise looked nothing like Tilt.  There may be some similarities in performance and design style, but that can be said about every Drum Corps.  They all have similarities from year to year because they continue to utilize the same staff year after year.  IMO!

I agree they do not "look" the same which is why I said "feel." I think where judging is so subjective, the feel can play a role.

Edited by Tim K

2 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

People need to relax.. It's a drum corps show. People have different perceptions and likes. It's not brain surgery. The activity is changing somewhat. We may all laugh 2 years from now and say remember when... enjoy what it is before it's gone. The next innovation is just around the corner.

Can't have an opinion ... just sit back and relax. Just take it. LOL 

Any opinion here past the red party line is a no GO bro. 

Next innovation is G-HOP will be selling the World's Finest Chocolate bars with Pizza Hut coupons on them.... Bean to bar brah. Candy done the GHOP way. .... .... ... ...... ....  ....