Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

4 hours ago, E3D said:

As usual any sort of criticism of a show and you get everyone with hurt feelings. People will be suspended because they criticize a show done by a corps. Or someone will complain that you are hurting the members feelings. 

Might as well change it from a competition to an exhibition. Give everyone a retreat medal for finishing the show and the season.

But to the OP for this thread. I can't stand the show design, the zigzag ramp ruins the drill. I'm sure to receive an account suspension for posting that no doubt as someones feelings just got crushed. Or the best thing that has happen to me here is a hateful and threatening PM.  

Wow, did your Mom take the remote away from you today?  The things that make posting difficult anywhere is the name calling, accusations of someone being stupid or being made to feel that your opinion has no value and you dont have anything to say because you don't know drum corps.  Then there is the whoa is me, the judges all hate us, the must get together every night and make sacrifices and put pins in dolls so my corps won't do well or the all make a blood pact that says all the other corps but mine can score higher in the next show, but mine has to score lower.

if we can make healthy criticisms, have conversations that will take the feelings and emotions into account that others have and decide we all have something valuable to say, then these posts are worth having.  If someone feels Bc is getting shafted, wants to know why, then why, if following some kind of protocol that keeps in mind we all have our biases and not a lack of knowledge, but a lack of experience or understanding, try and explain that without references that embarrass or try to embarrass anyone be bad?

Edited by Vdad76
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Lol. Maybe multiple people are posting it because that's what they're experiencing from SCV's show this year? I'm typically a big Vanguard fan, but their show just completely turns me off this year. Sorry. Visually remarkable but musically unremarkable. Like many others have said, they can remember and hum plenty of musical moments from Bloo's and BD's shows but absolutely nothing from SCV. Just how it is sometimes. 

Yes, I have watched standstills, please don't insult my intelligence and ears, as I know how to use YouTube. I second the statement about the percussion features and small ensemble. 

As I clearly stated THREE OR FOUR people are posting it. It's clear why you, being one of them are posting it, while an overwhelming majority (many of which have seen it in person) disagree completely.

As far as the humming is concerned, that's really awesome that you can hum moments from BD and BC's shows this season. Seeing as humming the music is the only thing that makes a show memorable and medal worthy, might as well give them the gold, silver and overall fan favorites award this year huh? Are you able to hum the music while performing body movements and yoga poses? I hear that is nearly impossible, though the Devils make it look so easy my dog could do it.

You clearly haven't watched a standstill of Vanguards show if you haven't seen one in person, as one does not exist on youtube, only moments of the show.

As far as the percussion features and small ensemble stuff goes, The Bluecoats have around 4 minutes of percussion feature, including a 1 minute and 38 second drum solo during the last 4 minutes and 29 seconds of show, and another 30 second percussion solo in the closer before the trumpet soloist. 48 percent of the last 4 and a half minutes of the show are literally percussion feature. Add on the minute and 7 seconds of solo / sectional parts and the last 4 and a half minutes of the show are 73% percussion and solo/sectional. The closer is literally solo > sectional > solo > park and blow > solo > sectional > hornline playing > percussion > solo > park and blow> jazz run off the field > park and blow. Their show is 55% (6 minutes, 5 seconds) percussion features and soloist / sectional features, yet you eat that up with relative ease. But hey, you can hum it right?

Edited by Treefidy

I had a much longer post with quotes and replies ready, but I lost my draft of it. Pretty much, it boils down to this:

• I love Crown's show. It's a stronger design that Bloo. It is flawed in places, but so is every other show. 
  • I love Bloo's show. It's my favorite show of the year. I think it is a better show than Downside Up
  • Jagged Line is only in 4th because the other corps in the Top 4 last year really stepped up their game in response to Bloo's win last year.
  • I have no intention to hate on others' opinions as long as they are informed and had thought put into them. I still do not believe calling Crown's design "lazy" is a valid opinion.
  • Crown having a singer is not "mind blowing." It about what she and her lyrics represent. She is the subtext personified, but the show concept is not centered entirely around her.
  • @E3D, get over yourself. DCP isn't out to get you, or anyone else.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShortAndFast said:

I don't think Bloo is getting shafted. They have a good show, certainly a stronger defense of their title than Out Of This World, 12.25 or The Red Violin. I won't be surprised if they wind up with a medal in Indy. But you can still have a great show even if you finish in 4th place.

My thoughts as well. When they debuted this year I let out a "whew."

55 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

The 2017 Bluecoats show is basically the 2016 show with a different prop and different guard uniforms. 

I think that's kind of unfair to the Bluecoats.  The only thing the two shows really have in common is exploration of verticality.  Well, two things.  Verticality and no blue coats.

Mike

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

As I clearly stated THREE OR FOUR people are posting it. It's clear why you, being one of them are posting it, while an overwhelming majority (many of which have seen it in person) disagree completely.

As far as the humming is concerned...

Who hummed this on the way home?  But, great show and a winner.

However,  a great deal of people loved and hummed this show...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Memphis1980 said:

Who hummed this on the way home?  But, great show and a winner.

However,  a great deal of people loved and hummed this show...

I was one of them. I remember humming Maria and Tonight/the Romeo and Juliet theme like nobodies business that year.

I really disliked the music in Stonehenge, but that show was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. The demand was insane...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think that's kind of unfair to the Bluecoats.  The only thing the two shows really have in common is exploration of verticality.  Well, two things.  Verticality and no blue coats.

Mike

I agree. The challenge Bluecoats will have is that they will now be very well known for how they stage shows and perform on the field. It's only similar to last year in the context of most everyone else. 

Whats funny to me is how little anyone is talking about their costumes. Sure didn't take long for the traditionalists to adapt!