Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

4 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It's still dirty. It's also a copy of last year's show. The ramp limits their visual design. 

They're always dirty but score well. Look at last year. They're about effect. Why now are the judges nailing them? There's such inconsistencies with judging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vdad76 said:

Wow, did your Mom take the remote away from you today?  The only thing that makes posts anywhere is the name calling, accusations of someone being stupid or being made to feel that your opinion has no value and you dont have anything to say because you don't know drum corps.  Then there is the whoa is me, the judges all hate us, the must get together every night and make sacrifices and put pins in dolls so my corps won't do well or the all make a blood pact that says all the other corps but mine can score higher in the next show, but mine has to score lower.

if we can make healthy criticisms, have conversations that will take the feelings and emotions into account that others have and decide we all have something valuable to say, then these posts are worth having.  If someone feels Bc is getting shafted, wants to know why, then why, if following some kind of protocol that keeps in mind we all have our biases and not a lack of knowledge, but a lack of experience or understanding, try and explain that without references that embarrass or try to embarrass anyone be bad?

I should report your post. with that mom comment. I did no name calling maybe you are a hurt and a safe space individual? If so then find the safety pin and put it on.

U are embarrassed? I guess so. you mention it multiple times in your post. 

53 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I had a much longer post with quotes and replies ready, but I lost my draft of it. Pretty much, it boils down to this:

• I love Crown's show. It's a stronger design that Bloo. It is flawed in places, but so is every other show. 
  • I love Bloo's show. It's my favorite show of the year. I think it is a better show than Downside Up
  • Jagged Line is only in 4th because the other corps in the Top 4 last year really stepped up their game in response to Bloo's win last year.
  • I have no intention to hate on others' opinions as long as they are informed and had thought put into them. I still do not believe calling Crown's design "lazy" is a valid opinion.
  • Crown having a singer is not "mind blowing." It about what she and her lyrics represent. She is the subtext personified, but the show concept is not centered entirely around her.
  • @E3D, get over yourself. DCP isn't out to get you, or anyone else.

@ U motosurfbass - bad is bad and a prop down the middle will do no good. and yes I have the guilty complex due to a recent experience. No email no warning no nothing. It had nothing to do with the bhlue chotes. 

17 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It's still dirty. It's also a copy of last year's show. The ramp limits their visual design. 

It's no more a copy of DSU than all the Blue Devils shows that used white minimalist props, jazz walking and running, and tightly staged performing troupes. And yes I have been critical of Blue Devils basically repolishing their previous show design ideas. That is not to say that all of them weren't awesome, but quit similar in approach to the previous seasons.

Judges, and BD fans, had no issue with the similarities. And still don't. 

Its not fair, nor is it even legal from a judging standpoint, to downgrade a show because of similarities to the previous year's show. Many here may not realize that SCV did the same exact show concept two years running not all that long ago...and as I recall did pretty well in the second run.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, E3D said:

I should report your post. 

This is so ironic it's funny. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

As I clearly stated THREE OR FOUR people are posting it. It's clear why you, being one of them are posting it, while an overwhelming majority (many of which have seen it in person) disagree completely.

As far as the humming is concerned, that's really awesome that you can hum moments from BD and BC's shows this season. Seeing as humming the music is the only thing that makes a show memorable and medal worthy, might as well give them the gold, silver and overall fan favorites award this year huh? Are you able to hum the music while performing body movements and yoga poses? I hear that is nearly impossible, though the Devils make it look so easy my dog could do it.

You clearly haven't watched a standstill of Vanguards show if you haven't seen one in person, as one does not exist on youtube, only moments of the show.

As far as the percussion features and small ensemble stuff goes, The Bluecoats have around 4 minutes of percussion feature, including a 1 minute and 38 second drum solo during the last 4 minutes and 29 seconds of show, and another 30 second percussion solo in the closer before the trumpet soloist. 48 percent of the last 4 and a half minutes of the show are literally percussion feature. Add on the minute and 7 seconds of solo / sectional parts and the last 4 and a half minutes of the show are 73% percussion and solo/sectional. The closer is literally solo > sectional > solo > park and blow > solo > sectional > hornline playing > percussion > solo > park and blow> jazz run off the field > park and blow. Their show is 55% (6 minutes, 5 seconds) percussion features and soloist / sectional features, yet you eat that up with relative ease. But hey, you can hum it right?

Would you stop shifting the goalposts?? Godda*n dude. 

Did I say humming a show makes it championship worthy? NOPE. I just said I, and others on DCP, find it to be a musically unremarkable show dominated by percussion. That's it. It has nothing to do with scores, it's my personal feelings about the music. You're inserting meaning that isn't there

Edited by Cappybara

2 hours ago, E3D said:

:withstupid:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'm just confused where you got "Garfield homer" from out of nowhere lol. Anyone who has seen my posts know usually the Cadets aren't my style and that I'm a Phantom and Devils fan

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Would you stop shifting the goalposts?? Godda*n dude. 

Did I say humming a show makes it championship worthy? NOPE. I just said I, and others on DCP, find it to be a musically unremarkable show dominated by percussion. That's it. It has nothing to do with scores, it's my personal feelings about the music. You're inserting meaning that isn't there

Where did I shift the goal posts. Please provide examples...

As far as your personal humming skills, cool, but they're irrelevant to the Bluecoats and their GE scores. Just as though your opinion of Vanguards show being dominated by percussion (4 minutes and 30 seconds of it, or 37%) but the Bluecoats show is not (4 minutes and 1 second of it, or 36%) is your clearly biased opinion. 

To be fair to the Bluecoats, since they have about 12 solos and, 10 sectional pieces during this show, anytime a horn was playing melody, it was counted as more that just the percussion sections. Just ONE horn.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I think that's kind of unfair to the Bluecoats.  The only thing the two shows really have in common is exploration of verticality.  Well, two things.  Verticality and no blue coats.

Mike

Fair enough. I love the show. It's interesting. I love the white uniforms, the music and the guard work. But, it really is extremely similar to last year in nearly every way. What I liked about 2014-2016 Bluecoats was that each year, while retaining that Bluecoats identity, they brought something new to the table. I think they were exceptionally innovative those three years - I mean they really lead the activity. I don't see that with this years production.

What you see on the field today is such a testament to how innovative they have been. I guess I was expecting something truly unique this year.

I knew this was going to be a tough year for them. It's really hard to follow up on a championship season. If you end up too far removed from what you did the year before, it can be a disaster (Phantom '09). If you are too close, you may drop a bit. I think we are seeing that.

• Like 3