Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

Just in case anyone actually think that I don't "get" Crown's show, I do. It's about drum corps, its tradition, its evolution, its stylistic loss of direction, and how the way forward is to marry the old traditions with new styles.

Conceptually, it's a fine idea (obviously, since both BD and SCV are doing the same thing), but it falls short in execution. It uses Bach as a representative for "the old tradition", but Bach was never a part of the old school drum corps tradition. The Wicked is stylistically inappropriate for the drum corps stage; even discounting whether I or anyone else personally enjoys the singing, the vocal style that the performer is being asked to do is not suitable when juxtaposed with the drum corps around her. The Akiho is nice, but it loses steam about halfway through when the trumpets have their feature with the triangle props and kick drums. The "transition" back into the Bach is way too abrupt; for a show that's supposedly about unifying old and new, one would expect a smoother transition (a la Promise of Living). On that note, why is the singer so angry when she finds the Bach? She should be happy that she's finally found a direction.

8 minutes ago, jsd said:

Aaaaand...

it is still a superior design to what the Bluecoats are putting on the field from a design and execution standpoint.

You left out, in your opinion.

13 minutes ago, pudding said:

If you actually care to see whether I "care enough to look into any shows past the surface level", feel free to go through my post history. 

I can go back two pages. You said I was "Sold a Bridge" by believing Crown's show could POSSIBLY be anything more than vapid and lazy. Literally everyone I know who has experience in designing and/or judging, especially in GE, would tell you that you are wrong.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

This has become nothing but a bash fest on several fronts.  I wish there was a way to ignore an entire thread, 

Yeah, a thread titled "________ getting the shaft this year" isn't going to go anywhere but downhill.

Not sure how one comes to the conclusion that the judges have it out for them though. This show basically follows the same formula as one that just won them the gold last year, decided by the same judges who now supposedly have a grudge against them because of their show design. O.o  ... I wonder at times if people even bother to actually read (a loud) what they've typed before they hit "Submit".

Just now, whitedj2002 said:

Your point of 12 mic'd, featured in contrasting uniforms vs Bloo's approach to amplification?  Earbuds aside you lost me...

Your point of comparing two completely different usages of electronics? SCV is using their small brass ensemble to play most of their most difficult parts, while Bluecoats use their electronics for effects (discounting the ambient amplification that all corps are guilty of this year). That's like saying two different chefs are both using chocolate in their dishes, except one is using it in a mole to enhance a sauce, while the other is using it to cover the imperfections in a cake. 

...Gets the milk I'm having cake and so are the judges! 

4 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I can go back two pages. You said I was "Sold a Bridge" by believing Crown's show could POSSIBLY be anything more than vapid and lazy. Literally everyone I know who has experience in designing and/or judging, especially in GE, would tell you that you are wrong.

You seem to not know a wide variety of people, then, because many people that I've spoken to regarding Crown's show would tell me I am right. Or am I to assume that your feelings and anecdotal evidence count more than my feelings and anecdotal evidence? 

12 playing the most difficult parts, overstated to say the least but thanks for your opinionated clarification. Let them eat cake!

1 minute ago, pudding said:

You seem to not know a wide variety of people, then, because many people that I've spoken to regarding Crown's show would tell me I am right. Or am I to assume that your feelings and anecdotal evidence count more than my feelings and anecdotal evidence? 

Am I to assume that YOUR feelings and anecdotal evidence count more than mine then?