Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

1 minute ago, Forevergreen said:

I am a big Bloo fan.  I love their show regardless of where they place. That being said, I think we have an even match - at least GE wise-Bloo, BD, SCV.  Visually, I do feel Crown,BD and SCV are cleaner right now.  Dare I say I kind of agree with the exact scores ?  Not GE wise.  

Yup. This. GE is way too low but they're being out performed in brass and visual technique. 

• Like 1

I like Bloo, and like the show this year. That being said...

The show is not being performed with the same level of precision as the three shows above them. Look at their carriage and their feet as they jumble/rumble/tumble toward the next set, if you need proof. Clean and consistent matters. Clean and consistent wins.

They're innovative as hell; they're just not as clean as the three corps ahead of them. 4th is about right, for where their performance is at the moment.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

First, fourth...or anywhere in between...matters not to me.   I love their show and it's my fave! 

And that's all that matters, Terri!!! Bottom line, it is all about whether we enjoy a given show or not, as fans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsd said:

Getting the shaft? Talk to BD and Crown from last year.

They got beat by a show that started with a three minute freaking ostinato, a noote cracking, winking soloist that knew where the camera was and what the reaction would be, and the entire corps running up and sliding down ramps as their exclamation point to each visual construction (Whee!!!). Was it a lot of fun to watch? Absolutely. Could it be considered a one off? Probably.

But, Bluecoats then repackaged the same approach to design under the guise of "Fosse" and expected the same results. They are not getting them, and it is pretty easy to see why (not as clean, novelty has worn off, REALLY complete designs by other corps). 

Shafted, my ***. 

I am the biggest BD fan around. Bloo deserved it last year. Both had gold medal shows. Crown had a gold medal show imo. Of course i was rooting for BD, but Bloo won fair and square. They out performed BD and Crown on finals night plain and simple.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I like Bloo, and like the show this year. That being said...

The show is not being performed with the same level of precision as the three shows above them. Look at their carriage and their feet as they jumble/rumble/tumble toward the next set, if you need proof. Clean and consistent matters. Clean and consistent wins.

They're innovative as hell; they're just not as clean as the three corps ahead of them. 4th is about right, for where their performance is at the moment.

Blue Devils convinced DCI that there was value in drill that wasn't traditional marching forms. If you took this BD show back 20 years, judges would give them a big fat F in "cleanliness."

Bluecoats basically shoved their way to their first gold medal last year by essentially daring judges to downgrade their show. Had they not won the gold last year it would have been among the greatest travesties in the history of the activity. But you can be sure there were a whole lot of judges who would rather have seen someone else win it.

This is my opinion but certainly not only my opinion: Jagged Line is a better show than Carolina Crown. Many will disagree with me, but only by falling back on the old feet, shoes, and other minutiae that can be said about any show. Medaling shows should be GREAT shows. Sorry, but most of us know that this Crown show isn't a medalist quality show this year. Not with Jagged Line on its heels. And it shouldn't be on its heels. It sure as hell should be just one point ahead of Cavaliers.

This activity is changing, and I believe for the better. As it did 20 years ago, DCI has to change with the growing sentiment. 

• Like 4

And let me add this: Pretty much everyone respects SCV. But what did we say about them? Classy but too conservative. 

This year there is no doubt they have the best props of the season, and they use them in truly unique and ingenious ways. They out-Bluecoated Bluecoats. And for my money, that should give them the gold medal, because there can be no real argument about the power and finesse of their playing and marching chops.

If a corps puts a show on the field this ingenious, and performs it this well, and doesn't get the medal it deserves because judges are staring at their feet instead of marveling at the whole package, then shame on them because they are missing the forest for the trees.

• Like 7