Favorite shows of 2017

1. SCV: Drill, mellos, battery, prop creativity (multi-usage), energy, tromboneless, human voice-less.

2. BD: Pacing(build), CONTRAST between pieces. Going from the ballad ending to the ethnic world feel Diamond dance is like flipping the Pepper album over to side 2 for Within-You, Without-You. My historical easter-eggs. (mini-gates, butterfly wings, on-field warm-up arcs, musical quotes)

3. Boston Crusaders: Improved all-around. Best of the singing attempts.

4. Bluecoats: Downside 2.0

5. Blue Knights: Brass improvement over last 3 years is evident. DYNAMICS without electronic manipulation. Pleasing to the eye. I don't feel compelled   to "get it" this year.

Unfortunately, I can't find any one group that I'm totally pleased with for one reason or another. (unis, headgear, mic-ed, singing, bug squats, pre-recorded narration/singing,etc.)

• Like 6

Bluecoats. Again, just an amazing display of creativity, finesse and power. Could watch it 20 times in a row and be blown away every time. So many risks taken, and the kids clearly just love performing this show. My son said he saw a Bluecoats member crying after their nashville performance he was so overcome with emotion. That is what it should be about!

SCV. There isn't a single down moment in the entire show, including the sneaky preshow. Best props, best percussion, coolest and most interesting arrangements. Took risks with uniforms, too. Love that the soloist uniforms match the drum majors. Very interesting. When other programs were resting for the stretch run, SCV was performing the single most elegant and complex drill sequences of the season, right down the 50 for everyone to see. They deserve the gold. 

Blue Devils. The ballad. Nothing else needs to be said. Best musical set of the season. The uniformity of their upper brass sound is unrivaled. 

Boston. Out Carolina Crowned Carolina Crown. Took a really daring concept and made it work wire to wire. Guard and brass are worth the price of admission.

Blue Knights. Visual is not close to my favorite but kudos to them for playing a truly fantastic series of arrangements and blowing you away without absurd amplification. Still holding out hope that someone in their organization will get religion about visual design. If so, watch out.

Cadets. One of my least favorite show concepts, but their percussion is amazing and unlike most I absolutely love their uniforms.

Blue Stars. Their brass and drill don't get the kudos they deserve. Need a more cohesive, challenging concept. See Boston and Academy last year. That can be Blue Stars.

• Like 5

1. Bluecoats 

2. Bluecoats 

3. Bluecoats 

Not surprising, BLOO is my favorite... Anything my son marches is my favorite that year

but BAC, SCV, Mandarins, PR were also my favs

• Like 3

In order:

1. Boston: can't look away and completely into this show. I love this corps and their edginess.  I'm excited that they changed up staff and improved quality.

2. Blue coats: favorite kind of show to watch, loved last year and love this year. What they try to accomplish is fantastic  

3. Cavelliers: this would be Ranked higher except for the my way recording which is liek fingernails on a. Chalk board to me since it's just not needed at all! Otherwise I love the guard and the show. 

4. Phantom: I always love Phantom's show.  It's not the best this year and needs work but their skill and style is great to watch . 

5. Blue Devils: I will always enjoy watching perfection no matter what the show is.  

3 minutes ago, MyKids#1Fan said:

Not surprising, BLOO is my favorite... Anything my son marches is my favorite that year

but BAC, SCV, Mandarins, PR were also my favs

And PC sound of silence

• Like 2