Favorite shows of 2017

23 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

The first BD show I have really liked in a while. They are entertaining, with great music, and look nearly flawless each time I see them. I don't object to them getting #1 now or on Aug 12. I would prefer Cavaliers or SCV. But hey, it's just that, a preference. 

Same here.. I'd prefer Boston or SCV to win it all. I never really object to the Judges scores at Finals though, as what I think ( or other ticket purchasers at the show think ) is meaningless. So I enjoy what Corps shows I enjoy and give the judges the same consideration that they give me, the fan....( none.)

Edited by BRASSO

Obviously Cascades for me. Other than that? In no particular order:

Blue Knights. Absolutely LOVE Beck's Wave (opener), to Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek. 

BAC. Haunting. The vocalist blows my mind. Love the color guard. 

Bluecoats. No matter what anyone says, you have to give it to them for being the most entertaining. I absolutely love how engaging they are. They look like they are having fun. Just wish I had a chance to see them live.

Blue Devils. Holy mackerel. Saw them live and I couldn't stop cheering and clapping. Completely and utterly blown away by their show. I'm rooting for them to take it all.

Seattle Cascades. My favorite part has to be the Shosty 10/Sia mix. And I'm not just saying that as a biased parent, but wow. When the low brass come in, then the mellophones follow, I get chills. I wish people could see it and understand the complexity of it. Let's face it - they aren't even top 20 up and are buried under everyone else, and from what I read, many people believe they are underrated (which I thank them for). 

• Like 3

Blue Devils:  Hands down the face-melter of the bunch.  There are so many sublime moments in the show.  Or better put, the entire show is simply sublime.  Love the old school opening.  Love the ballad start to finish - like I'm listening to Nelson Riddle's orchestra if they were still playing killer arrangements today.  But far and away it is that jaw-dropping trumpet feature in the third act that absolutely takes my breath away.  Throughout the show, I enjoy the asymetrical body movements that accent the drill, and nobody does park & bark like the Devils do it.  These kids are playing their butts off.  I love the stair props with the reflective siding.  Very nice effect.  This show has mojo.

Boston Crusaders:  This show transports me to another place, another time.  I wish I could see it live and can't wait to see it the next best way:  BL&L.  I don't know how BAC pulls off these dark, sinister themes to perfection but they surely do.  It's been said a lot already but I can't leave it unsaid - Spartacus.

Bluecoats:  Such a unique look and approach this corps has developed.  Last year they were rewarded for it.  This year not so much.  No matter the outcome, I would have my refreshments in hand for this show every time it is in the lineup.  I marvel at the engineering of that prop that can hold the weight of so many corps members yet easily be pushed on and off the field.  I felt the same about the slides last year.  Some really innovative prop construction going on in this corps.  

Mandarins:  What a show.  It's been said a LOT, and deservedly so, that this design is brilliant.  This is a textbook example of the right design meeting the right corps at the right time.  I love the look of the show.   It is clean lined, uncluttered and gorgeous.  I don't know how they got the pen nibs to look so realistic.  The guard really does some nice work throughout.  You're already loving the show and then they play Sound of Silence and you can't help but shout - finals for this corps please!

I'm going to stop here.  These are my top four though my signature includes a few others.  Great year from drum corps.  But aren't they all?

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Oregon Crusaders - The most underrated corps of the year. 

I would agree.  (I'm a homer but I'm a fair homer.)  Brass and especially color guard have made huge strides this year.   

Fingers crossed for staff and vet retention.

Edited by luv4corps

Based on mentions (or top 5 if you took the time to carefully rank your top 12 or every single world class corps)... Bluecoats,SCV, and BD are in a dead heat for favorite show of the year so far.

Boston is alone in 4th...with BK, the Cavies, and the Mandarins getting a lot of love too.  

Rounding out the top 12 would be Crown, the cadets, and a 4 way tie between the crossmen, the academy, Pacific Crest, and phantom.

I believe the only world class corps with no mentions is Jersey Surf.  2 corps that are usually finalists...the blue stars and Madison only getting one mention each.

BD - Classic Devs' brass sounds, phenomenal guard, overall the right way to design an anniversary show.

Mandarins - Super engaging show from one of my all-time fave corps. Will be glued to my phone next Friday evening hoping for, well, you know! Even if I don't see the desired news, huge, humongous, ginormous step up for them this year.

Bloo - Wherever it ends up competitively, just great energy and plain old FUN from beginning to end.

Spirit - Great look, enjoyable tunes, good to see them getting better and entertaining the heck out of people.

AND I GET TO SEE ALL FOUR OF THESE TOMORROW NIGHT OMG I CAN'T WAIT IS IT 6:30 PM FRIDAY YET?!?!

And one I won't, unfortunately, get to see in person this year - Boston, baby! Burn 'em up!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Just about every show out there has something I find entertaining and fun or inspirational and powerful. Crown probably has my favorite opening 2 minutes. The Cadets have moments of pure joy and emotion. Academy is real close to producing what they did last year. Phantom Regiment has some moments of pure bliss toward the end. Cavaliers grab me visually but lose me some musically. Crossmen grab me musically but lose me some visually. And on and on with so many.  Lots to enjoy.

From top to bottom, however, my favorites are Bluecoats, Blue Devils, and Santa Clara. To me these are complete shows.  

• Like 3

On 8/1/2017 at 7:29 PM, MyKids#1Fan said:

And PC sound of silence

That's Mandarins, not PC. 

7 hours ago, BDCorno said:

That's Mandarins, not PC. 

My bad