Favorite shows of 2017

Just now, MyKids#1Fan said:

My bad

No worries. Really hope they get in this year.

44 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

No worries. Really hope they get in this year.

Me toooo

• Like 1

SCV, Bluecoats, Boston, Academy, and Spirit in that order.

Edited by shawn craig

Blue Devils, Blue Knights, and maybe Cadets. Most shows this year just don't do it for me. And SCV? I just don't get it. Their costumes look horrible from the stands and their show is a snooze fest (minus the flag feature near the end of the show) for me. I usually like SCV but this show is hard for me to sit through...ugh!

• Like 1

Boston, Concord, Santa Clara. Thank you!

Good luck to all the corps, staff, and volunteers.

A wonderfully entertaining year for Drum Corps, goo, over-props and the WGI unitards notwithstanding.

Having now finally seen everyone in Allentown, I'll way in with mine:

In no particular order:  Boston, Phantom, Blue Stars, Genesis, Oregon Crusaders, Mandarins, Academy, Blue Knights

There are many things to like in Crown, SCV & BD too, but overall (and I will elaborate later) I am sorely disappointed with the top 7.  The music books up there are all way too choppy (except Crown), way too full on un-needed brief drum breaks that interrupt the flow, full of needless voice overs and signing that goes on too long, and way to amped.  Visually, there is far too much staging for my taste, when Blue Stars, Genesis, Phantom and others are reminding us what great drill adds to a show.  I'm hoping my opinions change after repeated viewings in Indy.  For now, the satirical re-write video of 1986 BD (and the Cavaliers machine re-write) are way too spot on.  I'm very hopeful there is a real re-thinking of amped horn lines and out of control synth volumes over the off-season.

PS - let anyone thinks otherwise, there were MANY shows I loved over the last 3 years from the top corps.  To me this is a 2017 "Fonzi jumped the shark" season that I hope is an aberration.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 1

Vanguard, Boston, Mandarins, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, BK and Madison, no particular order

But there isn't one show this season that I think is mediocre, boring, uninteresting, or not good. They're like children, I appreciate them all in one way at least

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had the privilege of attending semifinals for the first time this year.  I have my ranks based on my enjoyability separated between finalists and non finalists. Can't say that there were any cringe worthy shows this year and they all had moments that I enjoyed.

These are in order of my personal enjoyment...it does not reflect where I think each group should have finished.

Non-finalists:

13. Spartans- what a corps with a rich history that has been around forever.  Very cool to get to see them perform for the first time. That being said their performance was not on the same level as the rest of the field.  Would have loved to see what the Cascades or Jersey Surf had to offer.

12. The Colts- they got 15th place and their execution was awesome.  Being someone that works with people with neurological disorders I loved the concept of integrating both sides of the brain.  The props worked well too.  But this show was horrifically boring.

11. Pacific Crest- this was my first time seeing PC too. I was sitting among a lot of PC people as well and they love their corps.  This show was performed well and had some beautiful moments...but it was an every drum corps show to me.  

10. Legends- I loved the concept of the signal and they executed the design and concept well.  They had an unbelievable season this year after almost having to call it quits. I am hoping they can continue next year and that they come back with another open class medal.

9. The Troopers- Fencing yes! Duals and Duets! Yes! A fantastic drum major! Yes! I can't wait for the troopers.  Tarps all over the field... okay probably a fencing stage. Oh they don't utilize the tarps much different than the rest of the field?  The corps had an excellent performance but I was hoping for a lot more excitement.

8. Genesis- welcome to world class! This was a well performed powerful show that I feel was underscored. It's fun that they took on Master of puppets.

7. BDB- I was very pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment of this show.  Read the strange concept and saw the props and thought "here we go".  This show was performed so musically and tastefully with beautiful brass moments.  Don't know how I feel about the trend of braking out the little girl for GE.

6. Spirit of Atlanta- I have loved SOA/ JSU since I started watching DCI on ESPN.  Great show with a lot of improvement from the last few years.  I love how they are out in the open about crossroads.  I like my SOA with a dirty south feel but this was a great stride for them.

5. Oregon Crusaders- what a rich, beautiful, and balanced show. Absolutely loved the brass. I am really hoping they keep the balance in the hornline and have another great year next year.

4. Vanguard Cadets- A really nice, constantly engaging easy show to get into.  Their percussion and percussion feature was by far the best in the first half of semis. This makes me think the percussion title will safely stay in Santa Clara for awhile.

3. The Academy- By a hare was an extremely fun and engaging show.  Easily a audience favorite.  Didn't quite have the magic and beauty of last year but I don't think the Academy is going away and they might be a finalist contender again next year.

2. Music City- this is my list and I can put the 24th place corps wherever I want.  One of the newest corps on the block and already 4th place in OC! Wow! I have been following them since they had Mars in their show a few years ago...and I couldn't believe then that a corps ranked so low could put out that much sound and energy. I hadn't seen them live and when I found out they made semifinals I couldn't wait to see them.  They didn't disappoint and exceeded my expectations.  The tribe was an extremely engaging show with fantastic highlights from brass, guard and percussion as well as good integration of the 3.  I said to my mom "I wouldn't be surprised if they move up to world class soon".  Then I found out they were being evaluated.

1. The Mandarins- if it wasn't for Boston they would be the story of the year.  The ink blot test was a genius design.  I kept trying to interpret "what do you see" haha. Beautiful brass moments with the sound of silence too.

Finalists:

12. The Blue Stars- Absolutely beautiful and great balance in the brass line. I really can't say anything bad about it but much like the Colts...it just didn't hold my attention.  

11. The Cadets- so much controversy and they performed the heck out of this show.  The cadets are still excellent musicians and world class in field movement.  As people have been saying all season the issue is the show design.  They sounded and looked great when they were playing their insturments but too much acting and singing in this show for me.

10. The Cavaliers- great percussion and guard, good visuals.  The Cavaliers are back and that's awesome.  This show design was fun but dumb at the same time.  I liked that it pretty much made fun of men the whole time but it wasn't always tasteful.  I didn't like the Mars/My Way mash up. I would rather watch a VK show any day.

9. Phantom Regiment- they moved and played a lot and sounded great. This was the most confusing of the 25 of the night to follow for me and the weird voice-overs didn't help. 

8. The Crossmen- I have been liking their show design more and more over the past few years.  I love the original writing and concept.

7. Carolina Crown- this was running as my least favorite show all season...then I saw them live and everything changed. THAT BRASS OMG. It doesn't matter what they do I am going to love it.  This is still the lowest I have ever ranked crown and I am still bitter that they would choose to overshadow the brass for 2/3 of the show. 

6. BK- I love the blue knights and they are one of my favorite DCI corps. I love the concept of i, loved the brass, loved the percussion, loved the uniforms, loved the individuality.  It had a few stale moments but this show is still the BK I love and I don't want them to change a bit.

5. The Blue Devils- probably my favorite BD show of all time. I love the step off from the goal line, the ballad, and the attempt at flight of the bumble bee.

4. The Madison Scouts- I hadn't watched this show online due to the controversy and there is nothing I love more than an old school Madison show.  I love this show and it's a huge step up from recycling Jesus Crist Superstar again.  I thought their costumes were risky but extremely masculine. What a great, refreshing, risky program. Listening to the brass...they still have that big masculine feel that I have always loved about them. 

3. SCV- near perfect guard and percussion, fantastic brass, exceptional visual Proficiency. I think this show was a gold medal performance.  But it gets third for me because it didn't  hold my attention the entire time.

2. The Boston Crusaders- WOW what a program.  Really wasn't into the show concept before I saw it...but this turned out to be the best programmatic theme of the year and the only show  this year to bring a tear to my eye.  Absolutely beautiful brass and the only show with vocals that worked.

1. The Bluecoats- fan favorite of the year. Amazingly athletic demand, down and dirty old school feel with fresh new music.  Now this is a drum corps show. I thought I would never get to see a show like this live.  Disappointing to go from 1 to 5 but I got a lot more sheer enjoyment from the jagged line than from downside up.  

Overall a fantastic year for DCI. Not one show that was a total miss for me and everyone did great!

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 4