What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I agree. As a Cadets fan I was shocked by their (high) scores in 2011. (not GE but performance captions) and then in 2013 I was shocked by their low GE/visual scores and then in 2015 I was shocked again and then in 2016 I was shocked by their low brass/percussion scores

I literally could say the same about the swings in many corps. Crown was dumped in 2012 and then over scored in 13 and then dumped in 14. Etc.

Bluecoats are not getting much credit this year - and it feels like both Boston (bare with me for a second) and Cavaliers are getting a ton. Boston doesn't have nearly the content of the other top corps and Cavaliers do not complete a single musical thought in 13 minutes of running around. It's amazing. and yet they are getting very high (music) GE scores?

Then you have corps like Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Regiment etc being very toughly scored for "dirty" because they have more visual content

It's all very interesting. 

please stop.

• Like 3

Just now, George Dixon said:

Because musical thoughts should have a beginning, middle and end. 

This just sounds like a rephrasing of the tired old "chop n bop," something that every single corps out there does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

please stop.

Please stop with your "please stop" 

We all get to state our opinions. I've been around this since 1973 so I do get to have an opinion ya know.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

This just sounds like a rephrasing of the tired old "chop n bop," something that every single corps out there does. 

it's such a mash up and an ADHD approach to arrangement - similar to 2016 but at even more rapid fire pace

the corps is impressive visually and musically but it is quite the pounding from an auditory perspective

1 hour ago, Tony L. said:

Having not seen Cavies live, I am going to reserve official judgment, but I find the total show to be so cheesy and borderline annoying (and not in the way the Propaganda show needed to be annoying to make a point).  But, I am sure they are selling it!   

Audience at Centerville ate it up. General tone is playful.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So - ran stop watch on Cadets brass.

They play as an ensemble for 7 minutes 48 seconds

For a comparison I did the same for Blue Knights - they play 7 minutes 20 seconds

Cadets may feel like "less" because their program is the maximum length of 13 minutes

But it's to early for BK's show to be complete , not till next week

I want to like Cavies show, but I find it corny.  Some great guard moments though.  I don't see it as top 3.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's such a mash up and an ADHD approach to arrangement - similar to 2016 but at even more rapid fire pace

the corps is impressive visually and musically but it is quite the pounding from an auditory perspective

Quite interesting how the uh... more traditional crowd so readily uses the phrase "ADHD" like it's nothing. 

Reminds me of when people used to use the word "ret*rded" (huh didn't know DCP censored that) or "gay" as adjectives pretty often

But I digress. 

I agree it is quite a bit of sensory stimulation, but that's what makes it so much fun and impressive

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Just now, Laubster said:

But it's to early for BK's show to be complete , not till next week

lol - true.

Personally I love their show and I don't think they need to "play more" - just used them as an example for comparison

They have more brass content than some others for sure