What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

39 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

They might cost money?

Significantly more than the overlays they are using now?

As a brief interjection, the whole point of shotgun mics is that they pick up everything in front of them, not necessarily just things that are played "into" them. So even though the corps may be physically distant from the mics, they are still being picked up and amplified, just not as much. Which is to say, the Cavies still had a great brass sound, but it wasn't without amplification (same with everyone except I think Crossmen last night). 

Just now, pudding said:

As a brief interjection, the whole point of shotgun mics is that they pick up everything in front of them, not necessarily just things that are played "into" them. So even though the corps may be physically distant from the mics, they are still being picked up and amplified, just not as much. Which is to say, the Cavies still had a great brass sound, but it wasn't without amplification (same with everyone except I think Crossmen last night). 

Understood...just pointing out that three single shotgun mics on the 35-50-35 doesn't really equate to a "huge array". But you're 100 percent correct that the staff felt almost cornered to put these three mics on the field due to the widespread use of shotgun mics and individual bell clip mics being utilized by their competition, some of which have been using them since the season opener in Indy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Understood...just pointing out that three single shotgun mics on the 35-50-35 doesn't really equate to a "huge array". But you're 100 percent correct that the staff felt almost cornered to put these three mics on the field due to the widespread use of shotgun mics and individual bell clip mics being utilized by their competition, some of which have been using them since the season opener in Indy. 

I'm a bit confused.  I had always thought "shotgun" mics were MORE directional than other types and really wouldn't be suited for general field amplification.  If you wanted to amp a small horn group on the 40 without picking up a lot of the battery on the 50, it would do a better job than just a unidirectional mic.

Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I'm a bit confused.  I had always thought "shotgun" mics were MORE directional than other types and really wouldn't be suited for general field amplification.  If you wanted to amp a small horn group on the 40 without picking up a lot of the battery on the 50, it would do a better job than just a unidirectional mic.

Am I missing something?

Wouldn't the term "shotgun" imply something with a wide range? As in something that ISNT directional? 

I'm not well versed on guns (nor do I want to be) so I could be completely wrong here

5 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Am I missing something?

You are correct, shotgun mics are directional mics. They also have a huge range, which is why proximity isn't necessary to amplify with them. 

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wouldn't the term "shotgun" imply something with a wide range? As in something that ISNT directional? 

I'm not well versed on guns (nor do I want to be) so I could be completely wrong here

That's what makes it confusing.  I think they use the term shotgun due to the long cylindrical appearance of the mic -- like a single barrel shotgun or rifle.  Some folks think it refers to a wide pattern of pickup like a shotgun blast which isn't as good a comparison.