FloMarching & Championships

So, I recently subscribed to FloMarching. Just wondering, are we likely to see high-quality video editing like we are used to in the cinema and dvd recordings? The video direction thus far has been questionable. It'd be great if it were the same team (Tom Blair & Co.?)

Any thoughts or insights about what to expect?

Edited by pmckeown

As one would anticipate, they have gotten much better as the season has progressed, likely to do with their growing familiarity with the shows themselves. They are limited by the number of cameras and camera angles they have, which obviously isn't Monday Night Football. They still have some awkward moments, but the tragic low point of Broken Arrow has not been revisited, so it seems as if they are learning.

How Indy will be, I don't know. I would guess it will be the largest facility they have ever shot in, and that can be challenging. But they also have access to a world class facility and support staff.

i still think it is quite obvious they are not accessing a ton of bandwidth, because almost like clockwork the stream quality starts to degrade when you get to the end of virtually every program. I'm worried about that with Indy because their viewership will skyrocket.

• Like 1

I don't know if this means anything or not:  In Atlanta, I noticed the ground level mobile cameraman had a transmitter attached to the camera.  The receiver was against the stands on the 50.   In the pic I posted to the ATL thread of Atlanta CV, it  looks like the receiver has some wired connections coming out of it -- hopefully to the video booth, but I can't be certain.

Would this initial wireless feed from the camera affect what is eventually streamed?  In Indy, does Tom Blair's crew use wireless or wired or both?

Like I said -- could be something or absolutely nothing. 

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I don't know if this means anything or not:  In Atlanta, I noticed the ground level mobile cameraman had a transmitter attached to the camera.  The receiver was against the stands on the 50.   In the pic I posted to the ATL thread of Atlanta CV, it  looks like the receiver has some wired connections coming out of it -- hopefully to the video booth, but I can't be certain.

Would this initial wireless feed from the camera affect what is eventually streamed?  In Indy, does Tom Blair's crew use wireless or wired or both?

Like I said -- could be something or absolutely nothing. 

That is quite interesting to me, and might explain why on my feeds the audio is slightly faster than the video. You only notice it if you keep the show running without interruption for a few hours. I left the show on and left home and when I came back the audio and video were about 45 seconds out of sync.

i'm also about to sign up for Flo March.  If I subscribe on the monthly payment plan, can I just cancel after 1 month?  I'm really only interested in DCI contest between now and finals.

22 hours ago, pmckeown said:

So, I recently subscribed to FloMarching. Just wondering, are we likely to see high-quality video editing like we are used to in the cinema and dvd recordings? The video direction thus far has been questionable. It'd be great if it were the same team (Tom Blair & Co.?)

Any thoughts or insights about what to expect?

They're only showing the top 5 like PBS used to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

They're only showing the top 5 like PBS used to do.

No. From flomarching's website: 

PRELIMS
Beginning through #16 corps will be streamed on FloMarching
#15 corps - #1 corps will be streamed in theaters through Fathom Events

SEMI FINALS
All performances will be streamed on FloMarching

FINALS
All performances will be streamed on FloMarching

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

i'm also about to sign up for Flo March.  If I subscribe on the monthly payment plan, can I just cancel after 1 month?  I'm really only interested in DCI contest between now and finals.

I'm pretty sure you can, several others have talked about doing the same. If you wait til tomorrow morning to purchase, you'll be able to watch Allentown, Masillon, Open Class championships, World Class championships, and DCA championships (Sep 2/3) over the next month

• Like 1