The Massillon Knock Out August 7

Great show by Crown! Many big impact moments that the crowd really liked. Love the first half of this show. The opener is classic drum corps and with that brass line it's extra special wow. The ballad was wonderful. Balances between voice and brass were excellent. Brought home the goosebumps.  The last half of the show has improved in a big way, but it still lacks the GE in the final 1/3 to grab the crowd and send them home in a frenzy. They may be the cleanest corps out there, but that last 1/3 of the show from a GE perspective will keep them in 3rd, maybe 4th. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

i was so disappointed with this at Allentown that they changed from what they had been doing so well previously. 

But  that said, I understand the philosophy that it fits the Deconstruction theme. It doesn't make definite sense nor will the future. It's not the Crown Leon May had us always expecting nor the fast drill ala Sacktig son of Zingali. We don't know what or why it will be.

Somewhat like BD's big window (into the future.)

Is that what the window symbolizes?  The future.

I have a feeling the girl form 2015 will be back at finals looking through the window....Scott Chandler loves poetry.

Edited by cadet93

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Blame the Cartwright syndrome the judges have played into. I agree with George Dixon on the sloppiness, all except how Claire's hair stands out on the podium against the back of her red cassock.

I suspect their is a little politicizing going on here too. Women priests...

My thoughts were that they let their hair down for the "fallen" section. The section where they have rebelled against the church and gone wild. Them ripping their hair out during that section is part of the act I think?  At least that's what I took from it. 

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now who is a hater?   I really dislike that phraseology. 

Sorry, Terri. I mean those who have vehemently lambasted the Cadets for everything they either do or do not do. I believe there are some who would have twisted the comment into something snarky so I wanted to nip it.

• Like 1

Next on the field is the Santa Clara Vanguard from Santa Clara, California. Their 2017 program, courtesy of Corpsreps.com:

Ouroboros
Interplay for Piano Four Hands and Orchestra by Gillingham, David 
The Triumph of Time by Graham, Peter 
Song of Eight Unruly Tipsy Poets by Long, Zhou 
Into a Virtual World by Bhatia, Amin 
Remembering the Future from “Wait of the World” by Melillo, Stephen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

I agree George. Strange, but it fits with the theme of the show.

EXACTLY.  The Crown ending is just right!  It's unlike anyone else, and It Is working for me.  They were wonderful tonight. The singer blended in better than before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

I've heard they're saving something for Indy.  That could mean anything.  Looking forward to seeing what happens (it will be my first time attending Finals!). 

That could very well just be the tarp they took out for a few shows and then removed it. Very excited to see what IT IS though!

10 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

Ballad has come a LONG way

I've always bought the ballad. Beautiful background, perfect intonation. It's quite delicate and powerful at the same time.

Just now, candymancan said:

My thoughts were that they let their hair down for the "fallen" section. The section where they have rebelled against the church and gone wild. Them ripping their hair out during that section is part of the act I think?  At least that's what I took from it. 

except they start the show that way now. At least Claire does.