Most Technically Excellent Show You Have Seen (Live)

In terms of technically excellent design (as opposed to technically excellent performance), I think that the sound design in Kinetic Noise was the best usage of electronics to manipulate sound that has ever been seen. If you didn't see the show live, then you almost can't comment on it; it's so totally different live than it is in any video form, including the Blu-Ray. 

• Like 2

I'm going to throw my vote in for Cadets '05 as well. Just pristine execution.  (and a fantastic music book as well. I'm constantly playing this show in the car)

BD 2009 was probably my most jaw dropping moment live. Phantom Spartacus was too early in the season to be floored by (mid June). Santa Clara almost every year. Lastly, Crown 2013.

10 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Crown 2013. Nothing else really comes close.

Not with that percussion line. 

Not to mention spacing issues and line issues in this small clip alone 

tumblr_ms0xa2EGeI1qgg53uo1_r1_500.gif

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Not with that percussion line. 

Not to mention spacing issues and line issues in this small clip alone 

In fairness, that was their victory run, so cleanliness was probably not their priority.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pudding said:

In fairness, that was their victory run, so cleanliness was probably not their priority.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the correction. 

Regardless, OP stated "where demand was very high and the performance of brass, percussion, guard, and marching excellence were simply masterful." And I think we all know percussion was severely lacking that year. 

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Not to mention spacing issues and line issues in this small clip alone:

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion here of that bit of drill the day after Finals '13 and how and why it wasn't perfect.

(There was a much bigger problem with the drill in Crown's ballad at Finals, too.)

Even so, that clip may still show the single greatest marching maneuver ever.

Nobody but Crown has even tried a 3-D move, much less executed it successfully enough to work, right?

• Like 1

I've only been to Finals twice, so it's probably a four-way toss-up between BD '12, Crown '12, BD '16, and Crown '16, followed distantly by a handful of shows at Allentown and Massillon. Prior to 2010, I saw at most one show live each year going back to 1989. I did see BD '14 live, but it was fairly early in the season. (On the DCA side, which is of course a good deal back in terms of demand, I would say Bucs '12 and Bucs '15.)

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion here of that bit of drill the day after Finals '13 and how and why it wasn't perfect.

(There was a much bigger problem with the drill in Crown's ballad at Finals, too.)

Even so, that clip may still show the single greatest marching maneuver ever.

Nobody but Crown has even tried a 3-D move, much less executed it successfully enough to work, right?

1995 Cavaliers had a rotating planet, 2013 Phantom had a 3-D book opening, and Blue Devils had a rotating box somewhere (I don't remember the year, it was recent). There are probably more examples out there.

• Like 4