Why Jagged Line is actually brilliant

Could care less if it's brilliant or not....just clean the snot out of it.  Running out of time!!

27 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I love the Bluecoats show. One of my favorites of this season. My comments were more of a general nature re, Corps themes. messaging. In general, most people.. judges included.. don't have a clue on what many of these Corps shows are all about. I  " get " that some Corps shows ( Bluecoats this season for example ) are " concept shows". But many Corps have " storyline " shows.  Corps should not have " themes " at all, imo... unless in the end, such " themes " are clear and understandable to both judges and audiences alike. DCI has a long ways to go to bring us  " enlightenment " regarding this. We are still in the Dark Ages here regarding shows making sense to most people without requiring guesswork and/ or long multi paragraph explanations on what the Corps theme/ messaging MIGHT be..

I don't care whether a corps has a theme or not. But if you have a theme, you should be judged as to what degree that theme was communicated. It's not whether feet and hands are impeccably coordinated, but whether all that hoo ha actually worked to tell your story. I have no interest in shows that falied to communicate its message, but then fall back on, well yeah but look at how clean they are! Big freaking deal! This isn't an Olympics compulsory exhibition, its a show.

That said, this is my opinion, and is apparently not the opinion of the DCI judging sheets.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

dci is a niche activity, and a highly scientific double blind placebo controlled experiment i conducted shows that about 3% of people who identify as fans give a flying f about the meta of any corps' show

i love bloo's show this year because it sounds and looks pretty neat. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don't care whether a corps has a theme or not. But if you have a theme, you should be judged as to what degree that theme was communicated. It's not whether feet and hands are impeccably coordinated, but whether all that hoo ha actually worked to tell your story. I have no interest in shows that falied to communicate its message, but then fall back on, well yeah but look at how clean they are! Big freaking deal! This isn't an Olympics compulsory exhibition, its a show.

That said, this is my opinion, and is apparently not the opinion of the DCI judging sheets.

We know judges were frustrated and confused on Corps shows, and for quite a few years too. It got so frustrating for them that a a few years back they requested that Corps Show Designers come forth in pre season and explain to them verbally in a sit down meeting face to face meeting on what the heck their upcoming season's shows were going to be all about theme/ messaging wise. So this is not just an audience issue. it remains an issue for the DCI Judging community too..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeBD said:

I give the bluecoat fans credit.  Even when they continually place 4th all we hear from their fans is that they are getting screwed or they are transcendent.  If there was an award for the most ardent fans i would nominate you guys.

Should we just rename this forum the Bluecoats are great and the best thing since sliced bread?  If you don't agree than obviously you are biased and don't recognize the greatness that is the coats.  

And not to be outdone the blue devils still stink and never march.  If I didn't know better I would check BD for a pulse since they obviously don't work hard maybe they are statues?

......The cadets were statues.  Last year.  Try to keep up.

• Like 1

It's ironic that the show with the least theme, now enjoys having the longest explanation of what the show is about (perhaps Crown is in the running for that award too)

One of the reasons I love the Bluecoats shows so much over past 3-4 seasons, is that it doesn't take any effort to enjoy the show.  No meaning necessary.  Just entertainment.

Interesting hypothesis by the OP.  If someone needs a synopsis of show meaning, "pudding's" thematic analysis is as good as you're going to get.  (Really, well written).

As for me, I'll just sit back and enjoy this one while I still can.  It's been a great season!

Go Bloooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

The great thing about the ZigZag line is that the marching can't be judged correctly. That is what I like the best. :whistle:

When I went to bed last night, I wasn't sure what this thread would turn into. I'm glad that it's more or less what I expected. It's really obvious who did and didn't get to the end; I sort of wrote it with the idea of making it more and more difficult for people to keep reading if they weren't inclined to like "deep explanations" of shows to begin with (or for that matter the Bluecoats in general). 

Regarding a few points that have been mentioned, my personal taste is neither the unconnected presentation of musical material of old, nor the overly-abstract highbrow message-sending of new. I like shows to have a simple theme, to use music and visual design to communicate that theme, and sell the theme with every aspect of the show (e.g. 2006 Cavaliers, 2008 Phantom, 2014 Bluecoats, etc). I can understand "deeper" shows, but I don't prefer them, and neither I think do most fans, casual or otherwise. 

As for my true thoughts about 2017 Bluecoats? Well, aside from just being high energy and fun, I think that there is a study of compare and contrast (left/right, high/low, front/back, greyscale/color, black/white, hearing/seeing, etc), but beyond that there isn't much in terms of depth. Certainly not the over-analyzed nonsense of the OP. 

• Like 2