How important do you think the name of a show is and why?

It's important...but probably more important to the fans than the judging community.  

I love a good show with programmatic music....but I also love a show that just has good music.  A good title let's the audience know what they are in for.  Just as each individual piece has it's title a show should have a good title too.

Some great titles that convey the show them:

A Defiant Heart

The Devil's Staircase

...that one second 

The Boxer

Triple Crown

Hot Jazz Madison Style (simple...jazz played by the Madison Scouts)

Mad World

Metamorph

I agree with those who believe that judges are simply not interested in or persuaded in any way by the title of a corps' program.

I also believe that within the discussions which judges have with corps reps after a contest that the corps tries its best to  explain what it is doing and why that fits within their design, all or any of which might persuade the judge to see things differently (more favorably).

I agree with those who believe that it is the corps' responsibility to choose a program title, music and design that communicates the message of their program to all in the audience in a way that does not result in a " I do not get it" response weeks into the season.

I also believe that those who follow drum corps who say they do not get "it" should have some responsibility to do some research on their own to understand what a corps says "it" is. Visit their website, find the announcement of their program, see the field presentation again, hear what others have to say about it and try to develop a new appreciation of the product within that context.

Use "Phantasm" as an example and tell me what message it is trying to convey.

Then, if you know and still are not able to understand it via the program's music and design communication, transfer your curiosity to why that is so.

Themes also help with the bottom line. In these days of big budgets and keeping up with the competition's new trombones/toys, those tees and merch sales certainly help, and having a catchy title to a memorable performance even more so.

Show names can be fairly important, I've found that the shorter the cavaliers name their show, the better they tend to place. Machine-1st place, Frameworks-1st place, 007-1st place. In fact, only 1 show with a three-word title has won a championship. All others were one or two.