2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

53 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I wanted to be excited about the scores and how close Vanguard is to BD, but the attitude of some people on this forum tonight completely killed my good mood. 

Please don't let the next two nights be like this. Please. 

Don't let swamp trolls get to you... this is a celebration of the activity. We all have our opinions, but it's blatantly clear when someone is posting stuff on here just to be a swamp troll. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I'd like to know this...WHAT THE FORK WAS JAY KENNEDY SMOKING!!!!

Big fan of "My Way", perhaps.

• Like 1

Just home from the theater.  

Some thoughts:  I don't know if it was the theater's surround sound or the feed but the EQ was WAYYYY off.  Sub-woofers rattled the floor and dominated brasslines, esp. when synth had a heavy role in the bottom end.  It really affected some of the performances.  Like Mandarins for example.  Sound of Silence is one of my favorite ballads this year and it was all but drown out by overblown base.   When interviews were happening, all I could hear was the audience.  In spite of all of that, I still had a fabulous time though!

The corps that blew me out of my chair was.... the Cadets.  I absolutely fell in love with their show tonight.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 8

Just got back home from the theater...

I LOVE YOU BOSTON! :)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jsd said:

Watch it from beginning to end in context. Jay Murphy does not write/design "moves", but creates a show that is in constant motion from beginning to end from at least one of the elements. It is a process of seeing the "forest for the trees". Mr. Murphy may not offer a lot of trees, but the freaking forest is amazing. 

Thanks for that suggestion. I actually do try to watch the shows in context and look at them globally.  I agree that there is a consistent motion and flow to the entire show, and that "freaking forest" is indeed amazing!! That's why I love the show. I also understand that there are different types of "demand" and this show does have demand in spades, but I guess my "old school" would really like them to do some playing and visual drill (for lack of a better expression) at the same time.  Thanks for the reminder to look at the forest more than the trees!

5 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Just home from the theater.  

Some thoughts:  I don't know if it was the theater's surround sound or the feed but the EQ was WAYYYY off.  Sub-woofers rattled the floor and dominated brasslines, esp. when synth had a heavy role in the bottom end.  It really affected some of the performances.  Like Mandarins for example.  Sound of Silence is one of my favorite ballads this year and it was all but drown out by overblown base.   When interviews were happening, all I could hear was the audience.  In spite of all of that, I had a fabulous time.

The corps that blew me out of my chair was.... the Cadets.  I absolutely fell in love with their show tonight.  

they were the hit here as well - I personally felt they deserved a 94+ tonight. Obviously the judges (mostly) felt otherwise

I also disagreed with the order of several other corps - and see BD as about a 1 spot ahead of 2 & 3. So I know nothing!

• Like 2

Only criticism:

There was a lot of bass synth tonight...ruined a lot of the performances...I won't name names...but it was quite a few offenders tonight...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, fanman said:

Also, the judging panel tonight is the definitely the best and absolutely the worst of all time! 

I actually LOVE the line up for finals night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

they were the hit here as well - I personally felt they deserved a 94+ tonight. Obviously the judges (mostly) felt otherwise

I also disagreed with the order of several other corps - and see BD as about a 1 spot ahead of 2 & 3. So I know nothing!

OK...you can have your 94....so boston should have been 95 + then...

• Like 1

Is Tom Blair really still directing the broadcast or was this all Flo, because I can't remember worse camera angles for the theater presentation...ever! It has usually been so good at capturing most of the major moments, but this time it was tremendously long and frequent closeups of the pit, drumline, tons of shots from sideline level, weird backfield angles, on and on and on. 

Virtually all of BD's rifle work in Bumblebee was missing in exchange for ultra-closeups of the hornline. It all just seemed really amateur compared to past year's productions.

• Like 3