2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

One complaint about yesterday and it has nothing to do with the corps or judging...

Your toddler in diapers is too young to sit through 12 hours of drum corps.   Jim's seat was kicked all day and night when we were in our seats.  Plus, and if you are eating, look away....   The child defecated twice and the first row was literally gagging from the smell.  It was like the worst jungle gas you could ever imagine. 

Get a sitter or stay home.  I wouldn't have subjected my child to a five corps lineup at that age, much less 12 hours. 

I would have turned around and told the parents the child was kicking my seat.  Not that it would have done any good... but they should at least know the reality.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

One complaint about yesterday and it has nothing to do with the corps or judging...

Your toddler in diapers is too young to sit through 12 hours of drum corps.   Jim's seat was kicked all day and night when we were in our seats.  Plus, and if you are eating, look away....   The child defecated twice and the first row was literally gagging from the smell.  It was like the worst jungle gas you could ever imagine. 

Get a sitter or stay home.  I wouldn't have subjected my child to a five corps lineup at that age, much less 12 hours. 

oh gosh. That sounds fantastic

BUT kids get to go 'everywhere' these days. I run restaurants (60 of them) -- believe me I've seen it ALL. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I would have turned around and told the parents the child was kicking my seat.  Not that it would have done any good... but they should at least know the reality.  

Jim was playing nice. He finally did near the end of the next night when the jungle gas returned and the mother left to change the diaper.

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

BUT kids get to go 'everywhere' these days. I run restaurants (60 of them) -- believe me I've seen it ALL. 

We go to a brewery in Naperville that serves nothing but beer.   Nothing else.  Parents bring their young children there, roll out a playmat, and start pounding down beers.  Blows my mind.

• Like 2

My hot takes. Because you care. 

BD's show is just another cookie cutter BD show. I feel nothing when i watch it. They are going to win because when they have these shows they win. 

SCV are playing the hell out of their show, its definitely a show that is deserving of the gold. Every time it seems like 1 or 2 judges disagree. Also the brass should be scoring higher, not necessarily placement but in score. 

As much as crown has tried, i just dont like the last third of the show. Its a shame because the first 2/3rds is great. I also specifically dislike the end of the show, i really hope its not the same on Saturday. 

Im surprised bloo isnt third. Theyre ticking all the boxes and performing well. Maybe its their balance issues or the stationary stage. But i prefer them to crown. 

Cavies show is an enigma to me this year, but i enjoy it. Glad to see them pushing for 4th.

Boston plays the heck out of their show, and its fierce as hell. Definitely deserve their placement. 

Cadets, Im surprised they aren't below BK with how dirty the cadets are visually still. Musically it has nice moments but doesnt wow me.

BK, not getting the credit it deserves from the judges. Maybe its because they aren't using huge props and their guard outfits  look like the rest of the corps, but i think the show is well done visually and impressive Musically. 

Phantom has come a long way, but im in a state of weirded out and bored during their show. 

Crossmen show is solid and enjoyable, the wall things aren't my favorite prop but i can look past it. 

Blue stars show is... Meh. I like probably one third of it and the lady marmalade section. 

Scouts, i was surprised they were so far ahead of mandarins last night. Especially since i expected mandarins to top them. The show itself is nice visually, but very WGI and musically i dont care for it. 

Mandarins, love their show. Is there a rule that a show about ink or book stories has to have everyone lay down at one point? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I can only imagine.  LOL.

The inmates running the asylum. :tongue:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We go to a brewery in Naperville that serves nothing but beer.   Nothing else.  Parents bring their young children there, roll out a playmat, and start pounding down beers.  Blows my mind.

In my state kids wouldn't be able to come in there if all they served was beer.  Write your congressperson!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cleveland1 said:

BD's show is just another cookie cutter BD show. I feel nothing when i watch it. They are going to win because when they have these shows they win. 

I am stunned that anyone could watch that show and not feel anything.  Even when they have a so-so run, my jaw ends up on the floor.  A lesson in subjectivity.  To each his own!

I agree with you 100% regarding Crossmen and Crown.

• Like 4

Watching the Thursday top 15 at the movie theater, I got a feeling that either SCV just took their best shot at Blue Devils and came up short... or we are about to see a 2008 scenario unfold.  Not sure which.

Longtime BD fan here... I'd love to see them win again. But if it goes SCV's way, no problem. That would be a great story, and they are a great corps. 

• Like 1