A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The pit has been allowed to park and bark, er, bash, for 37 years. Why is it OK for them but not the brass?

I seem to remember Garfield Cadets being one of the first to use the pit and thought there was a George Zingali comment about it being a good place to hide ugly instruments. I know he made a similar comment pre-pit days when he wrote the drill for 27th and didn't know what to do with marching typanies. So perhaps the reason the pit is ok with GH is because if it wasn't his idea, his corps was one of the first to utilize it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Because a marimba is way heavier than a choir robe.

But.... DCI corps did have corps march with timpani, xylophones, glockenspiels, and toy-racks prior to grounding them in a pit. And they can do both today if they so desire. Therefore if the precedent is already set for grounding instruments that can be marched, it would be inconsistent to not also allow this grounding with brass instruments.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Because it is hard to march vibes?

Or timpani.  LOL. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wog said:

I for one would rather have a sideline pit versus say marching keyboards or timpani and glad that evolved as such.  These instruments just look to awkward on the field.  Brass is OK to park and bark... sometimes you just got to let it out!!!   

These guys never looked awkward. Marching Timps. Marching KeyBoards. G Bugles. No Amps!. And these guys parka and bark!

https://youtu.be/hHmoVPRsAzM

(buy you're right)

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Here said:

For all the GH comments that seem more negative in tone, I am curious what people really want from the Cadets that they feel they are not getting. If they want a corps that is going to win a championship every other year, that doesn't seem realistic as the only corps that can practically guarantee such is BD. If memory serves, this is the first time the Cadets have been out of the top 5 since 1991. So...what does the audience here really want? The design of the show, in my opinion, could be better but I'm not sure this show would top five now as it did in yester-year without major tweaking.

Here's one thing I would really like. I would like to not know who the corps director is. In other words, a corps director who, outside the corps inner circle, is seen, not heard. A face in the crowd. Much like all the other corps directors. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Here's one thing I would really like. I would like to not know who the corps director is. In other words, a corps director who, outside the corps inner circle, is seen, not heard. A face in the crowd. Much like all the other corps directors. 

Good luck with that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, monarch said:

These guys never looked awkward. Marching Timps. Marching KeyBoards. G Bugles. No Amps!. And these guys parka and bark!

https://youtu.be/hHmoVPRsAzM

(buy you're right)

Hurts my back just watching those timp players :45_persevere:... cool vid though!!

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

Who decides "abuse" or "overuse?"

Dunno. You're the one who introduced those terms into the conversation.

Still, it cannot be gainsaid that prior to 2004, there was virtually no abuse or overuse of electronics or amplification.

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So...if I understand correctly, you want to have a venue to voice your opinion, but don't wish corps directors to do the same?