A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

6 hours ago, Just Here said:

For all the GH comments that seem more negative in tone, I am curious what people really want from the Cadets that they feel they are not getting. 

Big picture is that this is a difficult transition for many Cadets fans and alumni. It can't be easy if you have watched this corps from 1980 to now. They've had such an incredible run that seeing how things have changed is always going to be difficult.  You have a great director who has had an long and successful run, but in recent years there are many that feel he should step down or at least set the process in motion for who will take over next. I am not one of them, and would not pretend to be that way because I am not an insider, but like any leadership figure that comes to the end of their career there are often things that have gone wrong.  The program has hit more speed bumps than usual.  Some alumni and donors are simply not going to be patient. Others will.  Fans in general want to see their corps win or place as high as possible. It is a competitive musical sport, so I get that. 

If anything, I am encouraged that GH feels things may have progressed too far. I think they have too.  All these corps are getting too much goo in their sound. Many solos are starting to sound tinty and metallic because of poor microphone technique, setup, and mixing. The judging needs to start looking at the balances between pit vs brass and percussion on the field in a more serious way.  In the long run I'd rather hear someone be honest, even if it meant they were backtracking on things they previously said. 

• Like 7

Crocodile tears from the main protagonist for amps, electronics, narration, singing, G7.  As Jeff Ream so simply stated, he's mad others figured out how to use the new toys more effectively. So now let's change the rules again. Laughable.  Everyone could have and did predict what the logical outcome of allowing A&E would be. Everybody but GH I guess. So now it's gone too far. Well, it went too far the first time an extension cord hit the sidelines. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Exactly; that is why the really smart players stand or sit in jazz bands and sit in orchastras!!!

Or spell it orchestra:)

The sound systems have gotten larger, wireless speakers and microphones, 20 keyboards, mixer boards are larger, more channels,  1000 watt preamplifiers and amplifiers, the list goes on and on. If there are no boundaries then expect more dollars being spent to win championships.  They will all try to keep up with the Jones so to speak. I'm wearing ear protection just in case. 

29 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Crocodile tears from the main protagonist for amps, electronics, narration, singing, G7.  As Jeff Ream so simply stated, he's mad others figured out how to use the new toys more effectively. So now let's change the rules again. Laughable.  Everyone could have and did predict what the logical outcome of allowing A&E would be. Everybody but GH I guess. So now it's gone too far. Well, it went too far the first time an extension cord hit the sidelines. 

I don't think it needs to go away but I'm not a fan of pre-recorded brass being added in as support. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

The sound systems have gotten larger, wireless speakers and microphones, 20 keyboards, mixer boards are larger, more channels,  1000 watt preamplifiers and amplifiers, the list goes on and on. If there are no boundaries then expect more dollars being spent to win championships.  They will all try to keep up with the Jones so to speak. I'm wearing ear protection just in case. 

The funny thing is the Bluecoats have actually reduced the size of the pit

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It's hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube.  It's a "hoist by your own petard" scenario.  

"Live by the sword amp,

die by the sword amp."

• Like 1