Biggest Surprise of the Season?

Mine are simple. 

1. Boston- Wow! What a show! And the first time I've ever been convinced that "singing" in DCI is okay. A crowd pleasing presentation to say the least. 
2. Spirit of Atlanta - So glad to see SOA embracing the current version of the activity...there's SO much talent here in Atlanta going elsewhere that I think SOA could reignite with the right leadership. And this year's leadership was a great first step! 
3. Mandarins - Looks like they are going to miss finals, but wow...what a year for them. 
4. Madison Scouts - Scouts got WAY out of their "box" with uniforms and show design, and I loved it! 

• Like 5

Genesis. Didn't expect them to start off their time in World Class with such a strong show.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Mine are simple. 

1. Boston- Wow! What a show! And the first time I've ever been convinced that "singing" in DCI is okay. A crowd pleasing presentation to say the least. 
2. Spirit of Atlanta - So glad to see SOA embracing the current version of the activity...there's SO much talent here in Atlanta going elsewhere that I think SOA could reignite with the right leadership. And this year's leadership was a great first step! 
3. Mandarins - Looks like they are going to miss finals, but wow...what a year for them. 
4. Madison Scouts - Scouts got WAY out of their "box" with uniforms and show design, and I loved it! 

I don't see how Boston is a surprise at all.  That visual staff has created Championship shows in WGI, BOA, and DCI for the past 10 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Regiment 

In a good or bad way George?

• Like 1

- I knew Boston Crusaders were gonna get a lot better.......but they took my expectations and buried them.  That much improvement in one season?   WOW.  

- I thought Blue Stars were gonna be knocking on top 7 going into the season, they souneded better than just about anyone I heard coming into the season (talking pre even that preview cast).  Sad to see them fighting for 9th or 10th but that's just a testament to how good the activity is.   

- Madison Scouts whole approach is pretty shocking but I think I like it and what they could do with it.   

- Mandarins!  I knew they were on the way up but jumping from 17th to fighting for finals?  AWESOME!   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Regiment 

As for a corps, I'd echo GD.  Was hoping for a stronger season.  I don't know if I'd call the BAC season a surprise.  After the staff they picked up, veteran mm from other top corps, one would say they would have to move up.  Then again, a possible 12th to 6th place finish with all the strong corps, might be considered a surprise.  What really has surprised me is how the use of microphones has exploded this year.

I will be a little more brief.

1. SCV knocking on Gold Medals door. 

2. The Boston Crusaders

3. The Cadets drop in placement (this was a much bigger surprise to me last year)

4. Whatever the scouts are doing this year

5. Carolina Crown- with arguably the best hornline over the past 9-10 years in the history of DCI featuring a vocalist for 2/3 of the show

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I don't see how Boston is a surprise at all.  That visual staff has created Championship shows in WGI, BOA, and DCI for the past 10 years.

My son auditioned for BAC for the 2016 season, and was in process of contracting when our local school calendar came out and we realized he'd have to miss almost 2 weeks of his senior year to march. So he marched DCA with Atlanta CV instead. That's all context to say that we followed Boston very closely last year. And after seeing last year's offering, this year is a pleasant and welcomed surprise. 

• Like 1

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

My son auditioned for BAC for the 2016 season, and was in process of contracting when our local school calendar came out and we realized he'd have to miss almost 2 weeks of his senior year to march. So he marched DCA with Atlanta CV instead. That's all context to say that we followed Boston very closely last year. And after seeing last year's offering, this year is a pleasant and welcomed surprise. 

Gotcha, makes sense.  Knowing the staff that went there, and their design credentials I wasnt surprised.  The show has that classic Carolina Crown accesibility while being appropriate for Boston, and a good foundation moving forward.

• Like 1