Biggest Surprise of the Season?

50 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If still of age, there's always next year.

He's only 18. And marching with the Cavaliers this season after two seasons of DCA with Atlanta CV. His high school director was on staff with BAC for the 16 season, and they held an audition camp at our high school a mile from here. But when it became apparent that the local school calendar would require him to miss 2 weeks of class at the beginning of his senior year, the Parents stepped in and redirected him to his second season with CV instead of his first DCI season. 

And from my traveling with the Cavs for 8 days, he seems to have found a home there. As an upcoming Mus.Ed. major that wants to be a band director, I'll consider his drum corps fees moving forward as "tuition". 

Edited by PopcornEater1963
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

I wish I had parents that were as supportive as you're being for your son, that was a big part of what made it hard for me, I have pretty much no support at home (parents still question me going into education and doing what they still consider a phase or a hobby AFTER earning my degree).  

So short version, +100 parenting points for you.   

That is so sad.  What did they want you to do, you know, for a real job?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

That is a long and painful discussion meant for another time and place.  

:)

Understood.  

• Like 2

Just now, DrumManTx said:

I wish I had parents that were as supportive as you're being for your son, that was a big part of what made it hard for me, I have pretty much no support at home (parents still question me going into education and doing what they still consider a phase or a hobby AFTER earning my degree).  

So short version, +100 parenting points for you.   

This is going to sound like complete Hallmark syrup...but it's true. 

When my daughter was about 4 and my son 1, I started a night-time drill with them while putting them to bed that sounded something like the tired axiom "If you chase what you love, and find a way to make a living at it, you'll have the best career possible, and you'll never truly work a day in your life". That is a tired cliche. But you know what...I beat it into both of their heads. My daughter is now a very successful oil painter signed to representation with a gallery here in Atlanta ( she's 21 ) and my son is headed to Jax State to become a band director. I don't worry about either of them having great lives. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

When my daughter was about 4 and my son 1, I started a night-time drill with them while putting them to bed that sounded something like the tired axiom "If you chase what you love, and find a way to make a living at it, you'll have the best career possible, and you'll never truly work a day in your life". That is a tired cliche. But you know what...I beat it into both of their heads. My daughter is now a very successful oil painter signed to representation with a gallery here in Atlanta ( she's 21 ) and my son is headed to Jax State to become a band director. I don't worry about either of them having great lives. 

Well I've finally reached a place where I'm very happy with the path I am taking so I guess I have that. 

Big surprise!  The direction I turned this topic!   

Umm...I have another one.  I actually really really really enjoy the way singers are being used this year.  For at least two corps it's not only a plus it's a big highlight for me (BAC/Seattle Cascades). 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

And the only "painful" part of this for me was that my daughter was a 6-year All  State  french horn player with full ride offers from everywhere to play horn. And in the 11th grade, she told me "Nope...sitting in a practice room perfecting French Horn 5 hours a day is NOT what I want to do". There was much parental wailing and gnashing of teeth. But we got over it. And now...she's launched the most amazing career as an oil painter. Sometimes you just have to listen to your ( very smart) kids. 

• Like 4